Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Should the military go green?

Update:

i mean go green as in energy efficient stuff

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Actually, we're going from the green class "A" to the Army Blues. The blue uniform is traditional back to the Revolution. So no, we're going blue instead.

EDIT: Ah! You're talking environmentally! You've never heard of the "energy rapper?" Oh my! He's been around since the 80's! On AFN (Armed Forces Network), there was this guy who would sing "energy raps" reminding people to conserve. I can't find it on youtube, or I'd give you a link.

Army installations everywhere have had an environmental section that deals with these issues for years.

• SFC M
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

To a certain extent, they already are going green.

In the Army, we already recycle all brass at the range, used recycled products in barracks and offices, and support recycling efforts when they are available in the community.

A lot of the new vehicles that are in development right now are being designed to run on alternative fuels.

If you think about it, "going green" is pretty much a military necessity. The more resources we conserve, the more effectively we can use those resources to fight and win the nation' wars.

There is still a lot of work to be done, though.

• 1 decade ago

the army is really good at using stuff until it barely holds together.

we take the if it aint broke, dont fix it to the extreme. we make real good use of our resources. the comptroller's office is very efficient at maximizing efficiency.

for our fuels we use diesel because its not as volatile to tracer rounds as gasoline or natural gas.

like i said, if the civilian sector would not be as wasteful as it is, we would be better off. the army is extremely efficient at not causing waste. we operate on a shoestring budget that is already under attack by the democrats.

you'd think a few billion a year is not a shoestring but our equipment costs lots of money, and the training of personnel is expensive, wages are too.

the only thing we can do better is not offer any waivers to sh!tbags that enlist only to try and get out. that costs money but its a multi-faceted problem.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Kool Kat, I'm going to let you in on a little secret about "going green." This phrase and the actions associated with it are a big pile of propaganda and a load of B.S. "Going green" is nothing more than another way to make a profit (which is fine...I am in favor of capitalism), however, duping the population into thinking they are making a huge difference in the environment is just a scheme to get everyone to buy into virtually useless goods and services that otherwise would be laughed at. "Going green" has just turned into another catch phrase worthy of making a profit from the misguided population who think buying "green" water bottles is helping the environment.

• HDH
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yeah. Would save money. And money saved means more soldiers and more weapons. I wouldn't be surprised if they undertake to energy audit all of their facilities and take measures to correct egregious energy leaks.

It would also be cool if the military took a stand on oil independence. They have so many facilities and vehicles it would really make a difference. They also have the means (centralized control) to make this happen, like they made the integration of blacks and whites happen after WW II.

• 1 decade ago

Yeah i'm no liberal do*che but it would be a better military strategy if we ever lost control of oil in the middle east and russia.

But that is the ONLY reason, not to save the delicate eco p*ssy

• 1 decade ago

The military should do the best job available to provide protection for their citizens.

Being green does not enter into the equation.

• 1 decade ago

They took the lead out of there bullets thats kind of green.

• Bob H
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yeah, after they erase a 1/2 a town, they pick up their brass. Hey, it's a start. Maybe, they can recycle the HumVees that blew up.

• J B
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Yeah, these ACUs kind of suck. I'm hoping for Multicam, but I'll settle for MARPAT.

P.S. We know what you meant, we just think it's a silly question.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.