What programming language is needed to make a simple online game such as Runescape & Habbo Hotel?

Obviously I understand that these games take a lot of work and knowledge and skills that I just don't have. But I really would like to take a shot at trying to make just a VERY simple, watered-down version of these type of games, just to see if I could do it. Where users can chat, or interact with a virtual... show more Obviously I understand that these games take a lot of work and knowledge and skills that I just don't have.
But I really would like to take a shot at trying to make just a VERY simple, watered-down version of these type of games, just to see if I could do it. Where users can chat, or interact with a virtual setting.

I have no idea what programming language/programs are used to create these kind of interactive games - Java? Flash & Actionscript? Visual Basic?
Are there any books/websites that cover the majority of what kind of knowledge I would need to grasp?