zmn asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

An old film (black and white) about a woman who works in a department store and has a baby?

A while ago, I was saw an old movie on TV about a young lady who (somehow) winds up with baby. She works at a department store, and I think she dates a co-worker/boss. There's this one part where she has to go to a large and fancy dinner with him, and pretends to speak another language or something. I also feel certain there was something about toy ducks in there...

Any ideas?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Bachelor Mother (1939)

starring Ginger Rogers, David Niven, Charles Coburn, Frank Albertson, E.E. Clive

IMDb synopsis:

Polly Parrish, a clerk at Merlin's Department Store, is mistakenly presumed to be the mother of a foundling. Outraged at Polly's unmotherly conduct, David Merlin becomes determined to keep the single woman and "her" baby together.

IMDb review:

One of the funniest sequences is when Polly (Rogers) and Freddie (Frank Albertson) enter a dance competition and her boss (Niven) comes to the night club with the baby in tow. Another funny sequence is when Niven tries to return a faulty Donald Duck incognito and finds the staff less than helpful. Then, there is the part where he takes Polly to party with his rich friends, and she impersonates a Swedish girl who can't speak English.

This is a colorized version of it, if you don't mind. Here's Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eshjQUg4nPQ

Youtube thumbnail

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The film was remade as "Bundle of Joy" (1956), starring then-husband and wife Eddie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.