Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 decade ago

First time flying alone?

im leaving from grand rapids, stopping in minneapolis, and flying to seattle in 8 days, ive flown plenty of times before but this will be my first time flying alone, and i only have 30 minutes to catch my second flight, any tips or useful informtion to help me be prepared?

Favorite Answer

Runnnnnnnn

I had a 40 minute connection time in Minneapolis once. I'm good at flying myself but I had never been to the airport before so I was worried. I can't remember the exact layout of the airport, but it was really simple and there's an information desk there like I haven't seen at any other airport and it really helped me.

I made it...but my luggage did not. If your flights are with the same company chances are their planes will be stationed in the same area of the airport. And they'll know you've landed and will hopefully wait a couple minutes for you if they can.

Hopefully your flight from Grand Rapids will land on time. Just be aware that you gotta make it fast, know what you're looking for and find it. And do not assume that the gate on your boarding pass is still the gate number of your Seattle flight, check it again! Even when leaving the plane at Minneapolis there will prolly be airline reps at the desks of the gates, ask them if they know what gate it's at.

Good luck.

Oooh just to warn you, you may not catch that flight! I had an hour to catch a flight from London to France and thought I could do it, but the plane to London ended up having to circle for 20 minutes before landing, then I had to take the Airport subway to the right terminal, by the time I got to Customs a lady was standing there reading tickets and saying "sorry, it is too late" so I had to wait 6 hours for the next flight. You only have 30 minutes, that isn't even enough time for you to get off the plane! Because when they say "arrival time" that is when you land, not the time it takes to taxi to the gate, lock down the plane, open doors, everyone takes their time getting up from their seats and gathering bags (and oh gosh, their children!).

So I would suggest taking A LOT to do because you may have to wait in Minneapolis for a couple hours (they should give you free food tickets, they gave me one) and tell whoever is picking you up in Seattle that it is a possibility so they know you are coming eventually.

A thirty minute layover is fine, just pay attention to

the next gate and where it is.

I hate to be a bearer of bad tidings but with a 30

minute layover there is a small chance that your

luggage will not make it. I've always had terrible

luck with 30 minute layovers.

Assuming you are checking luggage, if your a

gal, carry a bit of a larger purse and 1 day of VIP

stuff. Don't try to carry a huge carry on. If your a

guy carry a bag like a laptop bag and pack VIP

stuff in.

Remember, their a pain in the a** over security.

Wear shoes that you can slip on and off easily.

Very little jewelry. Go online to see what you can't

take.

Have fun, flying in a plane is still way cool!

Source(s): Lots of experience.
  • em

Just be organized. Once you get off the first flight, find your gate first thing, then find a bathroom nearby if you have to go. That way you'll be close by so if you hear the people on the intercom say they're boarding, you'll be there already. Have your boarding pass for the next flight handy so that when you get to the gate, you'll be ready to go. And maybe, if you're flying Southwest or an airline like that, try to get a seat towards the front of the plane so that you can get off quicker.

I hope this helps:)

low cargo , hand cargo is better , and walk fast in that terminal where your next flight is due 30 minut, , do not walk the terminal looking , is not a mall or gallery ..

have your passport and your ticket ready for the next flight and find the terminal asap, once you find it check double check the boarding time, then you can relax, and if you have like fifteen minutes to spare go grab something to eat (because plane food sucks) =0)

if you like to read definetely bring a book because it passes the time really quickly, or if you like music bring an ipod.

depending which airlines you take they usually have a movie playing and you can also watch that to take up some time.

and if not you can always just sleep :)