Would you read a story about a fake pregnancy to cover up a rape?

My idea is that a teenage girl who has never cared about what other people think about her begins to question herself when she fakes a pregnancy and has to deal with the ripple affects of the "pregnancy" including the perceptions of others. The reason she is faking a pregnancy is to take the attention and put it towards herself so that no one notices that her sister( the shyer of the two) is the one who is really pregnant as the result of a rape and so no one notices that her sister isn't seen as much as she was before.

The story would be told from the perspective of the girl faking the pregnancy to show how she changes throughout her "pregnancy" from being very sure of herself to questioning herself because of the situation she is put in.

Also the sister faking the pregnancy was also abused when she was younger by someone that she knew, but never told anyone about it, and the reason she helps her sister is to help try to spare her from the anguish she went through after being abused. The fact that the sister faking the pregnancy was abused would be concealed from the reader and others until the end of the book when the fake pregnancy is revealed and the sister faking the pregnancy would finally tell the raped sister why she came up with the plan.

The sister going through the fake pregnancy would also be dealing with the fact that she finally finds a good guy when she is abandoned by her old friends and must decide whether or not to tell him about the plan and really show him the real her.

The sister faking the pregnancy would also fake the symptoms and wear pregnancy pillows to convince people she is pregnant.

Any ideas or thoughts on this idea? Would you read something like this or do you think that it is an interesting topic? Any comments or ideas are welcome.

• Malia
    Best Answer

hmm..youre really going to have to do some research for this one..im pregnant with my third right now, and theres no way that you can fake a pregnancy..maybe for like weeks 5-10, but then you get cravings and food aversions, your hair will get shinier, your waist thickens before your belly pops out, your skin gets a glow to it bc of the hormones and extra blood flow..i dont think that you should write about faking a whole pregnancy, that would be too hard wo write about without it sounding like a lifetime movie..

i would start out like you said..the sister was raped and got pregnant (ooh..you could make them twins or something and have them switch places or somethihng) but anyways, start out with your idea, then let the poop hit the fan, somewhere around 4 or 5 months og hte pregnancy...and let everyone know that she is faking it, (right before she meets the guy of her dreams) she has to find a way to get him back, her sister goes into labor..maybe the sister dies in labor or she lets the other sister (the faker) adopt the baby with her new man bc she just got into the college of her dreams...

thats what i do...

• M M

I think this would be a very serious and dark book, adult book as you are dealing with rape, sexual abuse, lying, etc.

I question *why* the parents of a rape victim aren't helping their child, and why they're going along with the fake pregnancy thing. If one of their kids is pretending to be pregnant, the school is bound to phone up and ask what's going on. I don't see how they could possibly consent to going along with the fakery.

If even one of the girls is under-aged, Child Protective Services will swoop in and take them both away from their home. The parents going along with the fakery are clearly irresponsible, or would be to CPS eyes.

But to answer your original question, no, I would never read such a story.

You can write it out, though, fully aware that it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

• Isabel

oh I love that Idea! Acutally Just today I had a similar idea. If one Sister Fakes the Pregnancy for the other Sister who is really Pregnant ( the fake one is older) so she wouldnt feel Too bad (younger sister would be 17) But in the End Acutally becomes Pregnant ( shes Engaged) I love your Idea ;]

It sounds very interesting and I think that I would definetly read it. There are a couple flaws like how is the actual pregnant sister going to hide her pregnancy but other than that it would make a great book and maybe one of those lifetime tv movies.

• Jade

I would definitly read something like that. Do you know if there really is a book out there like that, that I can read until yours gets published? lol.

I think that is a great idea and it sounds great!!!!! I really hope to read it someday. If you want to write the book or a few chapters on the computer, like on microsoft. If you go to fictionpress.com, you can upload the story for others to read. If you do that can you pleaseeee tell us. I would love to read the first few chapter or something. ppppppllllllzzzzz. lol

Keep writing that book and make sure to give us the link after so we can read it.

This sounds like a fantastic story idea! Get crackin' and soon, because I want to read it.

I'd love to help you edit your work if you decide to develop this plot into a story. Email me at join_the_nava.jos98@yahoo.com if you're interested.

I think that it is a great idea and it will be a good story if written well. But try to be wary of people who copy your ideas.

• Eddie

It's not my type of story, but I have two girl-cousins who would enjoy that. They watch these crime-dramas all the time.

Answer mine?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200906...

yes i would, but why wouldn't people notice that the girl faking the pregnancy isn't changing physically?

answer mine

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AgL7R...

You should make it like Law & Order SVU because I love that show!