dk
Lv 6
dk asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicJazz · 1 decade ago

I'm beginning to like jazz. What group or artist do you suggest?

I like Herbie Hancock. and Kenny Barron.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

omg, theres this artist who is really good, her name is allie beaudry. shes not wel-known, but it amazing!

go to alliebeaudry.com

haha i hope i helped

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I really ♥ the precursor of modern jazz: swing music. Swing was made hugely popular in the late 1930's-early 1940's by artists such as Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller. Some of my Glenn Miller faves include St. Louis Blues March, Must Be Jelly ('Cause Jam Don't Shake Like That), Tuxedo Junction, Fools Rush In, and Pennsylvania 6-5000. Look 'em up on YouTube and you'll be hooked, I guarantee it!

• 1 decade ago

If you like Hancock and Barron, try Chick Corea, Keith Jarrett and the main influence on all the above - Bill Evans.

• 1 decade ago

Classic jazz...try some Miles Davis, John Coltrane or Charlie Parker. Contemporary jazz...try some Bob James, Joshua Redman or Wynton Marsalis.

Source(s): I love jazz music...especially classic bebop.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm just starting to get into jazz also. I'm not sure about you, but I could never really get into it cause it seems like in later jazz, there's no apparent (to me) melody so it's harder for me to listen to. Maybe I'm just a bad listener.

Anyway, through my interest in folk and blues music (Bob Dylan, Dave Van Ronk, Rev. Gary Davis, Mississippi John Hurt), I got into ragtime piano/guitar music (Scott Joplin, James Scott, Joseph Lamb, Allan Jaffe, Guy Van Duser, Dave Laibman), then into New Orleans/Dixieland jazz bands (Jelly Roll Morton, Louis Armstrong, Original Dixieland Jass Band, Loose Marbles), and then into stride piano (Willie the Lion Smith, Fats Waller, James P. Johnson, Ralph Sutton, Art Tatum), and now I'm slowly getting into some Duke Ellington stuff.

• 1 decade ago

somewhat although not entirely ignoring the two names you dropped, I suggest that you start with the following three Atlantic albums:

1. Ornette Coleman's "The Shape of Jazz to Come."

2. John Coltrane's "Giant Steps."

3. Charles Mingus' "Blues & Roots."

all three of the above are stone cold classics that you simply can't go wrong with...

• 1 decade ago

Well, My favorite kind of Jazz is the old time jazz, like Benny Goodman, or other big band/ swing artists. but theres also good jazz fusion, like miles davis. or maybe a very impressive musician, that is cool to hear, like Maynard Ferguson. There tons of jazz to explore.

• 3 years ago

From Wikipedia: The song for the song is in many cases attributed[a million] to José Fernández Díaz (additionally popular by potential of the diminutive, Joseíto), who claimed to have written at countless dates (consensus places 1929 as its year of foundation), and who used it often in one in each of his radio classes. some researchers declare that the song's shape easily got here from song already in often happening use by potential of peasants in southeastern Cuba during the early twentieth century, and that Fernández in basic terms accompanied the melody as his very own. there is likewise some debate on besides the fact that if the author of the song used in the refrain of the song, pianist Herminio "El Diablo" García Wilson, must be credited as a co-composer. García's heirs took the undertaking to court docket many years later; Cuba's very superb court docket credited Fernández via fact the only composer of the song in 1993. inspite of the two declare, Fernández could be appropriately claimed as being the 1st public promoter of the song, by his radio classes[2].

• 1 decade ago

Try some Freddie Hubbard, and Byron Stripling. Maynard Ferguson has some funky stuff as well, but kinda disco-y.

• 1 decade ago

Gene Harris, Kieth Jarrett if you can get past all his mumbling

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.