"If you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair"?

What exactly does this line mean?

"If you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair"

I know its a line from Scott McKenzie's song. But has this got any meaning. I just came back from San Francisco. One of my friend said the same when I told her that I would be going to SF.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Scott McKenzie song dates back to, I think, 1967. San Francisco was the epicenter of the hippie flower-power movement back then, with young people from all over the U.S. converging on the city, looking for peace, love, anti-war demonstrations, casual sex, and the hippie counter-culture in general. And hippies often did wear flowers in their hair, along with bell-bottom jeans, tie-dyed shirts, sandals, etc.

So, that's what the song's about.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

That song was written during the 60s and the "flowers in your hair" line was just relating to all the "flower power" hippies. you know, everyone was really into nature and on acid :)

• Spydr
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It refers to the "flower children" of the 1960's. The Haight Ashbury section of San Francisco was the "home" of that culture.

• ?
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Scott Mackenzie - San Francisco what an incredible classic gentle rock song-flow to You Tube and look up the song and songwritter and watch the Black and white song video of this song-boy does it take you back-stable question!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It means that all the hippies were happy and peaceful

• 1 decade ago

the hippies

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Why are all the answers so short these days?

• Marlys
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

This was bugging me too

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.