I need help with this it for the cask of amontillado?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
what word does poe use to describe the following Montresor’s Home The Catacombs The Time Period Montresor’s dark intentions Fortunato’s foolishness The dark mood ...show more
Best Answer
A single word does not suffice to describe each of those things, but I shall try:

Montresor’s Home: palazzo

The Catacombs: damp (or damp ground)

The Time Period: Amontillado (the period can be inferred by this type of wine, originating in the 18th century

Montresor’s dark intentions: impunity (how he exacted revenge) - part of his family motto

Fortunato’s foolishness: virtuoso ("Few Italians have the true virtuoso spirit.")

The dark mood of the story: retribution

Foreshadowing of the fate of Fortunato: immolation (I continued, as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile now was at the thought of his immolation.)

Dramatic irony: die ("I shall not die of a cough") OR buried : ("“I drink,” he said, “to the buried that repose around us.”

Verbal irony: requiescat (part of the phrase rest in peace. He meant no literal peace, most likely...it may have taken his 'friend's' several days to die. Implied more is that the narrator wished the bones to never be disturbed, or discovered.)
  • Rate
  • Comment
Sign In 

to add your answer

No other answers

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock