Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 decade ago

What The Hell Is Wrong With The Media?

They are trying to portray Steve McNair as a alchoholic and a cheater, they act like he did no right, but when Michael Jackson dies all of the sudden everyone loves him again and the molestation charges and the drug use goes away. Thats ****** up, all of the sudden we forget about McNair bringing in 3 18-wheelers to fill up with water and food in front of the stadium to send to the people affected by Katrina, we forget about the free camps he held for young football players downhere, I guess it just shows if your not a icon like Michael Jackson you aren't a saint like him either.

He was cheating on his wife even though they were basically seperated

He was cheating on his wfe even though they were basically seperated??

I mena they are trying to say he had a drinking problem, becuase of 1 DUI...And OJ was aquitted of all charges to was he really innocent?

Favorite Answer

Because, the Media will do anything they can to get peoples attention.

• kcbf

I have seen several media outlets that have shown all of the positive things McNair has done off the field, as well as the respect he has from other NFL players, so its not completely a negative coverage.

However, there are a handful of things to consider:

1. A lot of the coverage is centered around not just McNair, but the entire NFL. He has been lumped into the large group of NFL players with reputations for criminal activity recently such as - Adam Jones, Tank Johnson, Donte Stallworth, Plaxico Burris, Marshawn Lynch etc.

Keep in mind that DUI's have been a HUGE HUGE problem with the NFL historically, Yahoo! is reporting he has had 3 separate instances related to DUIs or similar situations.

2. There are a lot of questions surrounding his relationship with the 20 year old woman and his maybe pending divorce. It looks like this could be a murder-suicide which would only fuel the relationship/cheating debate.

He also has 4 children who are now fatherless.

Lastly, Michael is not a saint and there are many commentators who are not afraid to say so. The guy put out so much great music the football equivalent would be like Favre and Manning each owning 3 MVPs. That said, McNair meant nowhere near as much to football as Jackson meant to the world and music.

First off, let's remember that Michael Jackson was acquitted of his charges. It doesn't necessarily mean he was innocent but it does mean the law let him off, and they know far more about it than we do. Jackson was a strange man who did some questionable things, and it is weird to me that the media, who has spent the last decade or so blasting him for every little thing, suddenly has done a complete 180.

That being said, I agree with you somewhat, although I haven't heard anything about McNair being an alcoholic. I haven't really gotten a real negative attitude from the media, they're focusing on what happened around the time of McNair's death, which is the story right now. It's the fans' reactions, like the judgmental moron Reed Space who posted on here judging McNair at the top, which is what gets me. I bet these are the same people who think women deserve to get raped for being out at night or who think you deserve to be robbed for going through a bad neighborhood. You'd think McNair was a serial killer the way people are acting. McNair's actions shouldn't be condoned, but they should not have resulted in his death.

People feel much more connected to Michael Jackson. He preformed directly to his fans and was a very recognizable icon. McNair, like all football players was not as well recognized because he played the sport with a helmet on, and because football is not as universal as music.

That aside, Jackson's flaws were public and people were aware of them for a long time before he died, so it was easier to swallow them and focus on his successes instead. The nature of McNair's death is very unusual, and the fact that he was such a good person makes it that much more shocking. No it isn't fair, McNair deserves to let this get overlooked, but if something shocks and interests you, the media is going to report on it.

Micheal Jackson was a freak and Steve Mcnair had his faults though they may not have been as widely seen.

This is how I felt too. I never liked Michael Jackson just because of all the charges against him and I thought he was weird. A lot of people I know agreed with me and when he died they too were talking non-stop about him and saying how great a man he was. I don't understand it.

IDK if your screenname has to do with amare stoudemire but if it does I agree he should not be traded. He's an amazing player and will be a key factor in the near future.

People like you who try and bring attention to the negative crap.

That doesn't make sense and the people who disagree just love to hate and are straight up douchebags...

lets put it this way, if McNair werent cheating on his wife with this girl, he may very well still be living right now.

McNair gets absolutly no sympathy from me, he was not a man, but a CHILD. He was basically worshiped because he can throw a Football....Big Whoop.