Could my home have caused my miscarriage?

I know there can be no real answers... and maybe I am just searching, but no harm in asking here. I recently moved into my grandmothers house. She loaned it to my husband and I to do with it what we please bc she moved into a seniors apartment. When we moved in there was a ton of work to do. she had 3 cats and 2 dogs that she could not care for. She had a history of not cleaning up after them and they would all pee on the floor, in corners, everywhere really. There was even cat vomit on the kitchen table. Yeah, it was bad, but we took out all the carpet, painted. Remodeled the kitchen. The house is very modern now. Cement floors and what not. We had one room that the cats had stayed in until we were able to find homes for them. One of the cats was very sick and ended up having to be put down. Well, that room was not cleaned out because we had our wedding and then went on the honeymoon... and then found out I got pregnant on the honeymoon. I miscarried at ten weeks. Any chance the miscarriage could have been cause from bad fumes that are left in the house? Probably a stretch, but I am just worried that if it could be the house that if we try again I will miscarry again.

the litter box and the cats were gone before I conceived, but there was still vomit and feces left in the room. I did not go in the room but for a few seconds maybe a couple of times, but the house is tainted with cat urine. With as much as we have done to the house when it is stagnate for more than a few hours the smell becomes prominent again. I am mostly concerned about the cat urine and paint fumes left over. I was exposed to some paint as well as stain fumes in the very early stages of pregnancy as well as the cat urine fumes.

Favorite Answer

Not your home, but it's possible the cat gave you a disease that could have caused the miscarriage. Your doctor should be able to test for it, so you might contact him/her and ask about it.

Most paints these days are pretty safe - so if you used water or latex based paint, then that should have been fine, same with cleaning chemicals.

In all likelihood, something just went wrong with the pregnancy, and you miscarried - but I'd definitely want to know if you got sick from the at.

Sorry for your loss.

No Hun. It wasant the house i promise, a miscarriage cannot be avoided if it is to happen. And its no fault of yours either. It just was not meant to be, this time. As for cats, the only way they can cause a problem is if you touch their excrement and then put finger in your moputh. And even then, the baby would most likely survive, but may have had defects. A miscarriage means there was something wrong genetically, and its very common. Take comfort that you can concieve, and i bet next time your pregnant will run smoothly. I had miscarriage at 7 weeks, and got pregnanat again 2 mths later and am now 28 weeks. You really will get pregnant again, and dont feel bad cos miscarriage truly is so very common. And its not your fault.

• reba

Cats can have a thing called toxicplasmosis, which if you get, could cause problems in the baby. I suppose it is possible it could cause a miscarriage, I don't know for sure. They tell women who are pregnant to avoid the litter box, since that seems to be how it is transmitted. Some women who have had cats for a while before getting pregnant already have had toxicplasmosis and so are immune to getting it again.

That would be the only thing I could think of that could cause your miscarriage. I wouldn't worry too much about your house. Some miscarriages just happen (chromosomal defect, didn't "plant" right, etc.) That doesn't make it any easier to know, but at least you know it wasn't something that you did.

I'm sorry for your loss. Good luck!

Source(s): have a cat, 1 little girl, 3 angel babies

First tri losses have specific reasons behind the loss. If you have went to your postpartum appt and the doc can find no reason with you or the baby then your home may be the culprit. I know that chromosomal abnormalities, and low progesterone are sometimes the cause of 1st tri losses, but it is important to find out so that you can prevent the same recurrence in a subsequent pregnancy. Google "causes of 1st trimester miscarriages" to get a complete list of what the causes are. I have heard that dealing with cat feces can cause something called toxoplasmosis, which can cause miscarriage.

Source(s): I wanted to add how sorry I am for your loss. Take the time to educate your self and heal......I have had 2 miscarriages (19 & 21 weeks), I understand how you must feel.

Toxic fumes could endanger a pregnancy, but cat pee/vomit is not toxic. Though you painted, paint is now made without lead, so that's most likely not it either. I'd say the miscarriage was most likely due to a severe abnormality with the fetus, most first trimester miscarriages are. I'm sorry for your loss.

It probably wasn't the house, but it may have been the cats, especially if you were cleaning up the vomit and if you went near their poop. They (especially the sick one) may have had toxoplasmosis, which can cause miscarriage. The risk of this is why pregnant women are advised to not clean litter boxes. Make sure to clean the house thoroughly before trying again.

It could have been a number of things. I hope you didn't clean out the litter box cuz wen you are pregnant you are not suppost to change them cuz of feses. Also with all the animals waste every where is definitly not safe. So the house could of caused your mis-carraige. Or the baby just may have not been strong enough. Im sorry about your loss.

well if she had cats they carry a diesase in their feces which can be very harmful for the baby. it could be possible that that was something that set in. with cats you have to take extra precautions during pregnancy such as not clening out their box or if you do wearing gloves and a facemask.

God bless you sweetie!

Don´t blame yourself! You didn´t cause the miscarriage. I too had one four months ago, but I know GOD has something really good for the both of us!

Dont´give up!

no, miscarriages are normally not caused by anything you did or didnt do, but because there is something genetically wrong with the baby that it cannot finish growing