sabana asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 1 decade ago

Which camera to buy Nikon d80 with 18-135mm lens. Or Pentax k200d with 15mm-55 lens (II)?

Hi

I can't make my mind up. Both cams are on sale at the same price £340 (Both look a steal).. Both have great reviews. Nikon 80 is older but has a solid consumer base. Pentax 200 has newer features. Help!!

Thanks Sab

Sorry Pentax lens is 18-55 mark 2, not as in title.

• EDWIN
    Favorite Answer

First, don't be misled by the supposed vast availability of Nikon lenses and their compatibility with various bodies. Pentax, just like Nikon, still uses the same lens mount they used over 30 years ago. Any K-mount lens ever made is compatible with any rrent Pentax DSLR.

Second, since Pentax has their version of Image Stabilization (IS) in the camera body any lens used will be an IS lens - something Nikon and Canon can't say because they place their IS in some of their lenses but not all. So you can buy a 30 year old Pentax lenses and while it will be manual focus it will be an IS lens.

Third, its usually best to buy the most current technology.

Nikon by far!

It has a better lens, and the D80 camera wins hands-down against most beginner SLRs - it's amazing.

On top of that, if you decide to branch out into more professional photography and want another lens, you'll get better lenses cheaper from Nikon, as other lens manufactorors such as tamron make lenses for nikon, and there will be a much better chance of finding 2nd hand nikon lenses.

Personally, i've never liked pentax cameras, and never found them as good as many of the other camera brands such as canon, nikon and sony.

At £340 with a decent lens, the D80 is an amazing deal!

Source(s): Work in a camera store

You need to look at several factors. The first - what do you want the camera for? Is it just for everyday family use, a casual hobby, or do you have aspirations to something more? Many do have such aspirations, but few ever reach them.

If it is realistically going to be just for recording family and social events in your personal life, the way most people use a camera, then it doesn't really matter what system you buy into, they all have a range of lenses, flashguns, accessories that will cover your needs. You can ignore the incessant "buy Canon/Nikon they have the greatest range of lenses". They do, but unless you are looking at beginning a career in sports photography, photojournalism or similar, it would make as much sense to base your decision on the available lenses as it would to choose a family car based on the high performance "track use only" racing slicks available for the model's wheel size.

Many of these lenses so often mentioned as a basis for a camera choice cost thousands of dollars, and are not something the average camera owner is ever going to consider. If however you are one of those hobbyists who really will look at buying into a professional system, then yes, you need to look at the lenses that you are likely to need and base your camera body choice on them.

Back to your question, if it is the former, just a good family camera system, probably the Pentax would be the better choice, if the latter, and you are looking at some real expenditure down the line, Canon.

• Jt C

I also vote for the D80 as I am loyal to that line due to decades of use. that said the Pentax and the D80 have nearly identical performance in RAW data output

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality...

I do personally feel Nikon has better build quality and I started with a pentax spotmatic years ago. I will also have to debate the comment that its not important how many accessories you have available. The avialablity of OEM and third party accessories will greatly raise your options for what you can do. The fact that Nikon can use lense from the AI series on means that if you do not mind manually focusing ( which is easy with the D80 you have an abundance of good quality used lenses you can buy that will cost you hundreds and in some cases thousands of dollars less I can get a Nikkor Ed-if 300 4.5 Ais Lens for about 300 dollars us or a new Nikon 300mm f/4 ED-IF AF-S for about 1500 US (these prices were found on a very quick check of adoramas used and new lenses). So the avialablity of lenses and accessories and the backwards compatibility is important to me. Its not like basing the ability on track performance for the family car its like getting a family car and you have to buy only thier muffler or you cannot get snow tires. And the 300 mm lens I mentioned would be one a recreational shooter would enjoy using for say shooting the son or grandsons football game or taking pictures of birds. It s not a lens that only a professional would find a use for. But thats opinion and his about how important accessories are is as valid is mine

As I said in the beginning they are however similar cameras and you have to decide the path you want to go here is the DP review side by side on them

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?m...

The person who suggested the Sony DSC_HX1 or Nikon P90 was suggesting a totally different class of camera with a much much smaller sensor, contrast based intead of phase change focusing, a much lower quality exposure monitoring and image processor and no interchangible lenses

I was surprised to hear the prices. They are quite inexpensive. Nikon D80 is an old camera but it comes with 18-135mm zoom lens and it is amazing. The zoom lens 18-135mm is enough for daily use. I mean wide angle to telephoto. Pentax is now a part of Hoya Glass (glass maker) and it is downsizing the camera department. And the zoom lens 15-55mm is good and 55mm may not be enough for telephoto shot.

I recommend Nikon D80. If you can, please buy more than a year warranty.

• gator

Nikon d80 with 18-135mm lens. The Pentax k200d with 15mm-55 lens (II is not really a top brand in digital. They made great film cameras and lens but you don't see many with their DSL R's. Stick with Nikon, they and Canon are the leaders in photography

For the price of a D80 you can get the superior D200. Ive had both the D40 & D80, and both suffer from overexposure due to a flaw in metering (Ken Rockwell was right about that). I've had a D1x, too. I now shoot a D200, and it's the best thing since sliced bread. Sure, it's a discontinued model, but it still beats any D-double digit model. Plus, it's got a magnesium body as opposed to the 80's plastic. I got rid of the plastic-mount 18-55 & 18-135 lenses, and use the 18-200mm VR exclusively.

D80. If you ever want to upgrade your camera the lenses will be compatible. Nikon is one of the two most recognised brands which means lenses and accessories will be easier to come across both new and used. Besides, you get what I consider to be a better lens with the Nikon. As an afterthough... Have you considered the D40 or D60? Both are great cameras with decent prices and you end up with many of the same features as the D80. I'm sure it's way out of the price range you're considering but the D90 is awesome and the 18-200mm lens is great for 95% of the things you'll need.

• john h

I am a Canon user forget the idiot who said that only canon L lenses are good the range is, however that is not what you are asking.

I would go with the Nikon as you can build up a system that is superior to the Pentax and when you decide to upgrade you camera body you will not have tp change your lenses.

One camera body you could look at is a Fuji S5 dslr they take Nikon Lenses and offer excellent value for money, I rate Canon Nikon and Fuji the top three makes in 35 mm photography.

OK so while generally Canon L lenses are regarded the best lenses, Canon basic lenses are rubbish compared to the basic lenses offered by most other manufacturers.

Personally I prefer the Nikon D80. It's a strong, quality camera, the predecessor to the Nikon D90.