A couple of questions about american staffys and mastiffs?

ok me and my partner are looking to get another dog - we already own a beautiful female golden retriever (18months) and are looking for a friend for her - i would loooooove another goldy but unfortunetly it's my partners choice this time and he wants an american staffy firstly are am staffs the same breed... show more ok me and my partner are looking to get another dog - we already own a beautiful female golden retriever (18months) and are looking for a friend for her - i would loooooove another goldy but unfortunetly it's my partners choice this time and he wants an american staffy

firstly are am staffs the same breed as a pitt bull?
i have heard a lot "attack" storys about this breed and i have done a lot of research and asked questions mostly from breeders but i'm sure they are biased - i would just like some honest opinions of this breed
my partners 2nd choice is some form of mastiff - is this breed known to attack? is there some sort of website that has info on what breeds are more likely to be vicious?
lastly - how can i convince my partner to get another goldy ;) lol..
Update: i'm not dissing any breed here - i love all dogs just want to know these things because i do not want to purchase a dog that is not going to suit our lifestyle.