Whats the best way to deal with aggressive dogs when riding my road bicycle?

I've only been riding for a couple of weeks now for exercise and I haven't come across to many aggressive dogs but I've had a few act like they're going to take me apart. One little one chased me, while I was going up hill no doubt, but I just out ran him. Is there a trick or technique to dealing with these mongrels other than spraying them with pepper spray. I do carry it with me just in case.

• g-man
    Best Answer

I've successfully used two methods over the past 10 years and had no serious incidents with dogs. The first, and usually most effective, is to shout as loud as you can "NO". Most, even poorly trained dogs, understand this one word command and will usually back off.

My back-up method is to carry a battery operated sonic zapper, available for about $20. This little gizmo, about the size of a cigarette pack, emits a high pitched tone that hurts their ears yet is out of the range of human ears so to us it's silent. Proof of its effectiveness is the tell tale squinting of their eyes and wincing of the shoulders when they hear it.

An added advantage of the zapper is that my riding partner behind me doesn't get shot of pepper spray if she's too close.

Source(s): experience

I found out the best thing to do is don't act scared. I usually point at them and yell GO HOME. They usually stop in their tracks. If they are watching you approach slow down and look at them and if they move towards you don't turn away but steer towards them a little they usually back off. If you know where the dog owner lives call the dog warden and report it.

The most dangerous ones are the ones that hide and attack. I just yell HAY as loud as I can and they usually back off. For repeat offenders get your pepper spray ready and let them get close. Bear spray has a great range as is also good for bears.

A dog a few doors down. We didn't know a new family had moved in, so we never expected there to be a dog. We walked past their front garden with our JRT, and all of a sudden this Staffy came out of a gap in the hedge and started attacking our dog. We had to just pull our dog away to put some distance between the two, and the owner came to get his dog before ours was injured. He only had a little nick on his nose. It could have been much worse.

• John O

The first rule is: Don't Panic.

I often have a three-stage approach. The first is to see the dog as a challenge. Dogs are much better at long distance running, so a sprint will wear them out very quickly. If I don't have the space to sprint it out or I've bonked, I usually bait the dog with one of a few little MilkBones I carry for just this event. I get the dog really excited about the bone, then simply drop it. In 99% of cases, the dog is so excited about his "reward" that he stops and everyone is happy. Finally, if you drop to bone and the dog is still gaining, reach for your water bottle and give him a good squirt in the mouth. It'll make the dog choke and sputter, ending all pursuit. It won't harm him or your riding partner(s), and may teach him to stop chasing bikes.

• ?

The biggest danger is that one will run in front of you causing a crash. Just have to be careful to avoid that.

As long as you keep pedaling, the chances of actually being bitten is extremely small. Most are just after the chase and quit when you are out of their territory.

A loud shout will stop some. Many you can outrun. If you can hit it with the pepper spray, congratulations. Water is just as effective, btw.

One fun tactic is to just stop. Most become confused and go back home. Have your spray ready just in case tho.

• vdubz

A dog whistle may work. If not... http://www.securityprousa.com/stunguns1.html or pepper spray as a last resort.

Attempt to swerve them.

Its quite scary when theres a rottweiler chasing. Trust me

Source(s): Pro Dirt Jumper

Here's a link to the "sonic zapper" that g-man mentioned

http://www.shessafe.com/Animal-Repeller---Dog-Chas...

hold your leg up and learn to ride with one leg, then he cant bite you. but don't kick at them. and also wear a bright hat and hold it between you and the dog with a stern look into his or her eyes, show dominance and no fear.. dave

Source(s): kid walking to school many years ago

pepper spray or cattle prod.