Christians thoughts on Matthew 5:18-19?

Matthew 5:18-19 NIV 18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same... show more Matthew 5:18-19

NIV

18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

19 Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Contemporary English Version:

18 Heaven and earth may disappear. But I promise you that not even a period or comma will ever disappear from the Law. Everything written in it must happen.

19 If you reject even the least important command in the Law and teach others to do the same, you will be the least important person in the kingdom of heaven. But if you obey and teach others its commands, you will have an important place in the kingdom.

It is not a matter of mistranslation to my knowledge. Even if you say "what is to be accomplished" is when Jesus returns.. It still says, we must keep the laws until that time.

I am not a christian, but studying the faith as I am learning about world religions.
Update: Umm.. you two are not going after the meat of my question. *Jesus said* in matthew 5:18-19.. who is to say which of his words is more important or less important? Should they not all be equally important? When he said it is finished, sure.. he was passing on.. life's work done in teaching. Yet, who are... show more Umm.. you two are not going after the meat of my question.

*Jesus said* in matthew 5:18-19.. who is to say which of his words is more important or less important? Should they not all be equally important?

When he said it is finished, sure.. he was passing on.. life's work done in teaching. Yet, who are we to go against his teachings which he died for?

To me, it seems you christians are very good at cherry-picking your holy scripture to support any view you might have.

Tis no wonder as you have thousands of denominations.. people follow their own thoughts instead of their prophet.