Grocery list for college student?

I'm a college student and I have very little time to cook and/or eat. However, I want to eat healthy and I hate fast food. I'm looking for a high calorie, high protein diet that is quick to make meals for and won't break the bank (usually spend $120-$150/month). I already stock up on quite a bit of tuna fish, oven ready pizzas, and red meat but it's getting old after a year. I also tried to look different recipes up online and buy groceries to fit a recipe. Unfortunately it was too much of a hassle because I don't have a car and can't get to the grocery store more than once a month usually. So, bottom line could you make me a good list of food to buy? Nothing is off limits (i.e., meal from a box, foreign cuisine, microwavable/oven dinners) Although I don't own a microwave. FIVE STAR BONUS TO THE PERSON THAT MAKES A LIST AND GIVES ME A FEW RECIPE IDEAS. You don't have to put all the ingredients or measurements down, just a name will do. Thank you.

Favorite Answer

Check out this menu planning website. If you like her menus, you can print out the recipes and shopping lists for the entire week. Eat leftovers for lunch and cereal/eggs for breakfast you've got it all covered! Inexpensively!

You can also check the archives to mix & match menus that appeal to you if you find a day you don't like.

http://www.uclick.com/client/adv/mu/

At walmart, there is a frozen dinner brand called budget gourmet. Most are priced around 1.50 or less and there are a lot of low fat options. Buy in bulk and freeze what you won't use in a couple days. It will cost more for that grocery trip but save in the long run. I do this with chicken breasts then just zap whatever I need for that day in the microwave. Most vegetables are affordable if you buy them frozen. Um...bread, peanut butter, rice, beans etc are all very cheap and healthy if balanced properly. Mac and cheese mixed with a can of tuna can make an affordable quick meal. If you are really bad off on your budget, look into getting food stamps...most college students should be eligible. Also, sometimes local groups (churches near campus etc) will hand out free canned food to college students that are short on cash.

chicken n pasta

1 chicken breast, garlic salt,salt, pepper, olive oil, canned tomatoes, and 1/2 cup pasta.

Method

Boil and drain pasta and set aside. Slice chicken into stripes/cubes. Heat about 4 Tablespoons olive oil over med/high heat for 1-2 minutes. Add chicken, season and saute until slightly browned and cooked through. Pour excess oil out of pan. Add cooked pasta, tomatoes and season to taste. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes on low heat. (You can add any vegetables you like).

Source(s): check this website out for student recipes: http://www.studentrecipes.com/ these look good toohttp://www.bangor.ac.uk/studentlife/recipes.php.en

•Fresh vegetables and fruits should make up the largest part of your healthy foods grocery list. Vegetables and fruits have vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and they are usually low in calories. We all need at least five or more servings of vegetables and fruits every day. Choose a variety of fruits and vegetables that everyone in your family will enjoy.

•Most of your grain and cereal products should be made from whole grains, not from refined flours. This part of your list includes whole grain breads, whole grain pastas, and whole grain breakfast cereals. Whole grains are important for vitamins, minerals, and for fiber, which is often lacking in modern diets. Read labels to look for 100% whole-grain or 100% whole-wheat to be sure you are getting whole grain products.

•Your protein and meat choices should consist mostly of fish, poultry and lean meats. Eggs, nuts, seeds and legumes are also good protein choices. Choose fresh and frozen unbreaded meats and fish. Avoid breaded, deep-fried convenience foods that you put in the oven. They are high in fats and sodium.

•Beverages should be kept simple. Water, low-fat milk, juices and herbal teas are all good choices. If you opt for soft drinks, choose diet sodas and soft drinks to avoid extra sugar.

•Dairy products should include low-fat milk, yogurt and cheese. If you do not want cows' milk, choose soy and rice beverages, calcium-fortified orange juice, or goats' milks and cheese.

•Be careful with dressings, cooking oils and condiments. They are sneaky sources of refined sugar and poor quality oils. Read labels to choose dressings made with olive oil, canola oil or walnut oil. Choose low-fat mayonnaise for your sandwiches and choose canola oil and olive oil for cooking.

•Frozen foods are a convenient way to keep vegetables on hand. There are also prepared meals that you can pop into the microwave or oven. These can be convenient and healthy if you choose low fat versions with good portion sizes. Read labels and chose frozen foods wisely. Avoid frozen pizzas, pocket-sandwiches, deep-fried appetizers, and breaded foods.

•Foods in cans and jars are also very convenient. Look for low-sodium soups, vegetables and sauces. Avoid high-fat gravies and high-calorie foods like canned spaghetti and ravioli products.

•For sandwiches, choose peanut butter or other nut butters, low-fat turkey slices or sliced roast beef. Avoid processed lunch meats, sausages and hot dogs.

•Don't load up on high calorie treats and desserts. Choose fresh fruits, healthy nuts, seeds and whole grain crackers for snacks.

• ok if i was in college id imagine my fridge having stuff for a sand witch,maybe microwavable ravioli ,if u go to wine-dixie they have microwavable garlic bread u could make that to go with Ravioli