promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Athiesm is a religion?

definitions of religion:

# a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny; "he lost his faith but not his morality"

# an institution to express belief in a divine power; "he was raised in the Baptist religion"; "a member of his own faith contradicted him"

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

# Serial Experiments Lain was created as a multimedia production, including an anime, a video game, a manga, and several artbooks and soundtracks.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_(episode)

# A religion is an organized approach to human spirituality which usually encompasses a set of narratives, symbols, beliefs and practices, often ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion

# The Religion is a modern-day set horror novel written in 1982 by Nicholas Conde. It explores the ritual sacrifice of children to appease the pantheon of Voodoo deities, through the currently used practice of Santeria. ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Religion

# The Religions of Dune are a key aspect of the fictional setting of the Dune universe created by Frank Herbert. Many of the names of religions mentioned in the novels indicate they are blends of current belief systems, some syncretic.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_(Dune)

# Religion is a peer-reviewed academic journal in the field of Religious Studies. It was founded in 1971, with close ties to the Religious Studies program at the University of Lancaster. ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_(journal)

# Religion is the seventh studio album by Spear of Destiny, released by Eastworld Recordings in 1997 (see 1997 in music).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_(album)

# A collection of practices, based on beliefs and teachings that are highly valued or sacred; Any practice that someone or some group is seriously ...

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/religion

# religious - concerned with sacred matters or religion or the church; "religious texts"; "a member of a religious order"; "lords temporal and spiritual ...

# religious - having or showing belief in and reverence for a deity; "a religious man"; "religious attitude"

# religious - of or relating to clergy bound by monastic vows; "the religious or regular clergy conducts the service"

# religious - a member of a religious order who is bound by vows of poverty and chastity and obedience

# religious - extremely scrupulous and conscientious; "religious in observing the rules of health"

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

# The world's principal religions and spiritual traditions may be classified into a small number of major groups, although this is by no means a ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religions

Atheism doesn't come into any of these

Update:

sage.... Atheists reject the notion of a deity full stop.

Atheism can be either the rejection of theism,[1] or the assertion that deities do not exist.[2] In the broadest sense, it is the absence of belief in the existence of deities.[3]

Update 2:

and sage who said i was christian?

ur labeling us again.Ignorant wasteman

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You got such information from a mostly unreliable source! As for me, whether they like it or not, I do believe Atheism is a religion, just as much as any other religion, which many of you would say isn't a religion.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Ah!!! Yet another BAD christian out to prove why christians get seen as ignorant and foolish!!

ATHEIST - someone who does not believe in a God – any God – not just the Christian one. But that does not mean they do not hold strong moral or religious beliefs! They can follow any religion that does not have a god and there are a lot of those!!

Like BUDDHISM – Religious teaching from Buddha and his followers that by destroying greed, hatred and delusion (the cause of all suffering) man can attain perfect enlightenment!!

Add christians and muslims together and they amount to just under a third of the world population the majority of the rest is made up of atheists and religions without gods!! So they are in the majority here!!!

Christianity has lost ten percent in less than a decade and the loss is accelerating!!

Now try checking your posts and testing them by asking:

Do your posts draw people to christianity? HARDLY

Do they offend and drive them further away? HIGHLY LIKELY!!

God's work? HARDLY

Seems that not only are you in trouble at the final judgment but that it is surely time to ask yourself just who you are serving because it simply cannot be a loving god and you do seem to be a great recruiting sergeant for atheism!!

• 4 years ago

No, atheism is just a word that means lacking belief in deities. It is not a collection of beliefs that people who are atheists must hold beyond that. There are religious atheists in religions that don't require deity beliefs. There are atheists that are Humanists and many that are not. There are atheists who believe in other metaphysical or supernatural claims and others that don't. There is no set of beliefs that all atheists must believe or have in common beyond disbelief in deities. To say its a religion would be the same as to say if a group of people built a faith around worshiping leprechauns and called those who didn't believe their claims aleprechaunists the aleprechaunists would be a religion. This is clearly ridiculous as they are merely people who don't accept the claims or share the beliefs of the leprechaun worshipers.

• 1 decade ago

I would not classify atheism as a religion.

I believe the short definition of a religion is a set of beliefs. These beliefs are accepted as absolute and cannot be challenged. SInce atheism is based on disbelief I don't think you could call it a religion.

I would however classify science as a religion which is based on the belief in cause-and-effect.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A collection of practices, based on beliefs and teachings that are highly valued or sacred; Any practice that someone or some group is seriously ...

This fits atheism well.

Is atheism a religion? Not technically because it opposes religion.

It fits the basic definition of a religion quite well which is a group of people that take a strong religious stance. (specifically that they dont believe in god/gods)

To make the statement "I do not believe in God" literally is a religious statement. The same could be said of me if I said that I didnt believe in philosophy. That in itself is a philosophical statement.

• 1 decade ago

You forgot their false god = the god of Science "Evolution."

As far s their clergy: Charles Darwin, Richard Dawkins, etc...

Dogma = Natural Selection

A strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny = Big Bang Theory.

Extremely scrupulous and conscientious = Scientific Method

Concerned about sacred matters = why are they here under the R & S voicing their opinions.

Religious attitude = you can see how vehemently they voice their opinions when one acknowledges God.

Collection of practices = mentioned above.

Religion peer reviewed = Scientific Journals.

Religions of Dune = Science Fiction.

A religion is an organized approach to human spirituality = Atheism guides their spiritual life.

An institution to express belief in a divine power = Their institution "The Illuminati."

Source(s): Many books and journals.
  • 1 decade ago

No a religion is on going practice carried out in the presences of those who share the same or similar ideas.

Atheism is a belief on the nonexistence of Gods or God.

• Jade
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I would say Atheism is a religion. Every religion has there own beliefs. All atheists have their belief that there is no god.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's the same reason people like to point at Buddhism as a religion, when in reality it's a philosophy

It's fun to label things!

• 1 decade ago

Who said it was one?

Only a fool calls atheism a religion.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.