kids get up before parents? is it bad parenting to stay asleep?

do you concider it bad parenting if you let your kids ( 5 and 6 year old) wake up and go watch cartoons play in their room or play video games for an hour or so before you get up?

they have poptarts and other things they can safely eat if they wish and they can me up if they need anything.

Favorite Answer

I was always up with my kids until they were a bit older. My kids just always came and got me once they were up and I would get up and get them breakfast because they always woke up hungry and I preferred they eat a decent breakfast rather than pop tarts or a bowl of cereal. Now that my kids are older, they are rarely up before me anyway but if they are it's fine as they are 14, 14, 12 and 9. I will admit though that with my youngest I wasn't always up as early as him but I had my oldest to help out at that point and even then I got up with him until he was about 6.

This would depend on how safe the children are, how well behaved they are, how much they would find trouble, and how soundly you sleep. I think this decision should be made on an individual basis. I have a 7 y.o who won't watch television. If I left him alone while I was asleep that would be asking for trouble because he always finds things to get into. All children are different. I remember my two girls would always entertain themselves, stay in bed and watch television in the mornings so I could continue to rest. That is just not the case with my son. You know your children and if you think they are safe then there is nothing wrong with getting a little extra rest. Poptarts are not a very nutritious breakfast though. It would be better for you to get up for a minute, check on them, give them some cereal or something and then go lay back down.

I don't think its bad parenting as long as its for a very short time, they can get food to eat and they know they can wake you up. When I was a kid, I remember waking up very early and my mom would still be sleeping. I would go watch cartoons and when I got hungry I would go eat my cereal.

Five and six year olds still need supervision, the family I babysit for switches off on the weekends (both parents work all week and are therefore up) one Saturday Dad gets up with the kids then the next Saturday Mom gets up.

I dont consider it bad parenting but I do consider it dangerous. What if one of them fell and broke a leg? Would the other be responsible enough to know to tell you? Or if the child couldnt breathe? They are very young, I might say this is okay if they were 9 and 10.. but 5 and 6 are little. Things can happen to them in 1 second.

Look at the number of child deaths. Read about the deaths, most happen when the parents are out of sight for less then 1 minute (literally). So an hour is a huge amount of time!

It's not bad parenting as long as you have safe guidelines to follow and they know and follow the rules; for example, no going outside, no using the stove, etc. Being allowed to roam the house freely is a privilege, and if they can't handle it, then it isn't bad parenting to make them stay in their rooms.

its not bad, they are old enough to really even get cereal if they want on their own and sit and do something until you get up. its not bad parenting. now if you sleep all day the yes, but just for an hour no. i used to at that age

It's fine. And it gives them a real sense of being "big kids."

All the best.

Not at all. As long as they can eat and keep themselves safely entertained then I see no problem with it!

You should be up with your child at any age. I know from experience kids don't always do the same routine in the mornings. Yeah they have safe foods to eat that don't require using the stove, but the toaster is just as much a fire hazard as any. Assuming they don't eat them straight out of the package. My brother and I when we were 5 and 6 almost set our kitchen on fire trying to cook breakfast, because we were tired of cereal, and pop tarts. If your still tired in the mornings and longing for more sleep then get to bed earlier. Your kids need you in the morning just as much as they need you during the day..