Can my employer stop paying me without informing me.?

My employer hasnt paid me for 2 weeks. I am currently abroad on holiday she did write to tell me 4 days after the first payment was due, but said she would try to pay me something the next week. I still havent received anything or heard anything more from her. This has now cost me $170 in overdue fees etc. Is she liable for any of this?

Favorite Answer

I'm not sure where you are, but here in the USA it is illegal for any employer to stop paying you (as long as you are a regular employee and not a temp) whether they inform you of it or not. If you're not in the USA I imagine the same would also be true.

Anyway, report her to the Dept of Labor (USA) or the equivalent in your country. They will investigate. After their investigation she will be fined, forced to pay all missing paychecks, and pay all fees/penalties you incurred out-of-pocket (like the bank charges).

If they don't do anything you'll need to hire an employment lawyer and sue her to get your missing pay as well as restitution.

!!! If she hasnt paid you for 2 weeks and you are considerd an enployee then you could sue her lol. If she doesnt pay you mininem wage (not paying u is not lol) she could get in a lot of trouble. I think she is responsible for those overdue fees.

i hope this helped. :]

You may sue in court for your wages but those fees are YOUR responsibility no one else's. YOU should never have written checks on an account until those funds were direct deposited into your account and showed in your balance that one is on YOU.