will a bachelors degree help?

hey everyone im a 19 year old guy, I live in L.A. california. I am currently attending a community college and my major is Criminal Justice, I want to get both my A.A. and my B.S.

1. Will a A.A. or a B.S. in criminal justice help me land a job as a LASD deputy sheriff?

2. If not what else is a B.S. in CJ good for?

3. What are some alternative degrees from CJ?( I seem to like english, but i love crime and want something to do with it)

any advice, suggestions, and tips will be greatly appreciated.

• kapn
    Favorite Answer

Yes......but.........no experience will hurt you

There are thousand and thousands of talented, experience people on the street due to the economy…the competition for any job is extreme. …people will do anything for much less just to feed their kids……..I don’t expect it to get any better before 2012……sorry……

• foutz

You get an buddies degree in 2 years and a Bachelors degree takes 4. A BA is bigger than an AA. in case you have a BS degree, that's the comparable volume of training as a BA, in spite of if it relatively is in a diverse section. BA stands for Bachelor of Arts and a BS is Bachelor of technology.

I can't speak for the major, or what the job market will be like when you appy for your desired job, but a bachelors degree will ALWAYS look better on a resume than just an associates. You may still get the job with an associates, but a bachelors will give you a much better chance of getting in and also will help with raises and promotions.

Sorry not to be able to answer all your questions, but I would argue that given the current economic state you may want to consider going back and getting your masters in CJ. I mean, it is not like the job market is booming now.