What causes wall to creak?

Every now and then I hear the walls creaking in my room, it frightens me a little. Sometimes I think its a ghost or some supernatural phenomena

Favorite Answer

I'm pretty sure it's a ghost.

• ?

99.9% of the time it is nothing paranormal! Creaky walls and ceilings come from many sources. The walls can be settling, that is, the foundation is shifting very slightly causing the walls to twist, which will make noises, and eventually cause cracks near doors and windows. The wood used to built the house could be wet and is drying, and shrinking slightly; this is very common in newly constructed houses. Also, if the heater is just turning on, it may cause creeks, and pipes can rattle causing creaking also.

Note what is happeneing at the same time as the noises, this may point you to the culprit!

The sun heats the outside of your house unevenly throughout the day causing parts of the house to shrink and expand rubbing against each other. My sunroom ceiling make a pop-pop-pop sound when the sun goes behind a tree and the metal starts to cool down. It was creepy the first couple times until I realized what was causing it. Houses will creak on windy days and cold nights too.

The nice it's from expanding or exposing of the woods .But crack it's cause of the1- foundation sit 2-Roof weight

IF crack it's in the middle of the wall or any point far from edge it's cause of crack in foundation .If it's in Corner of the walls (edge) it's cause of the weight of the roof and bad nailing the Corner studs .