What does Access Point mean?

What does access point mean and do? I have a Belkin router for my laptop and xbox 360 and wanted to know what would happen if I enabled to use the access point feature? I want to see if it will clear up connection problems I've been having lately. Thanks

Favorite Answer

An "Access Point" is a wireless connector to the internet. Many times routers have built in "access points" which makes them wireless routers as well as wired routers.

If all your computers are wired to the router you don't need the "access point" as you aren't using any wireless connections. It will not clear up connection problems for wired machines, in fact it can cause them.

If you have a wireless adapter on the XBox and aren't using your own router, then yes enabling YOUR router is the right thing to do, You will need to connect your XBox to YOUR system. If you have a "Wifi Enabled" laptop and want to use it without a cable, then you need to enable the "Access Point" in the router so you can connect.

Source(s): Years - TL

Access point is when you find an accessable point that has internet and can be used