what is the name of the old 1950s or 1960s movie about teenagers stalking a family on a road trip?

I remember in the early 1970s when I was around 12 years old, I watched a movie from the 1950s or '60s about a family on a road trip who were terrorized by juvenile delinquents until the father finally outwitted the delinquents in the end. Does anyone know the name of this film? Thanks so much.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It could be this film:

Hot Rods to Hell (1967)

starring Dana Andrews, Jeanne Crain, Mimsy Farmer, Laurie Mock, Paul Bertoya, Gene Kirkwood, Tim Stafford (aka Jeffrey Byron), Mickey Rooney Jr.

IMDb synopsis:

Tom Phillips, his wife Peg their teenage daughter, Tina, and little boy, Jamie, drive through the California desert, heading for a new life running a motel. Things go haywire when teenage bad girl Gloria and her two delinquent boyfriends, Duke and Ernie, chase them, with Duke attempting to seduce the daughter, finally driving Dad to take action.

The movie trailer can be seen after the one for "The Young Runaways", which stars Patty McCormack, who as a child starred in "The Bad Seed":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjiT87dt0xA

Youtube thumbnail

• 4 years ago

That is absolutely true. And there were some families that still didn't have a tv set in their home as late as the early 60's. It was an unheard of thing, having two sets. There was one large set in the living room. and our fathers made the decision of what would be watched. It was a standard thing. The fathers earned the living, and they had the right to choose what he wanted to watch. And if the rest of the family wanted to see those programs, they would join him after doing their homework. As that was the first thing kids did after helping with the kitchen clean up after dinner, was to do their home work. Only then, did we watch any tv show with our mom and dad. I didn't know anyone who even had a small tv in their house. Everyone seemed to have a big console, or a cabinet style with doors that closed over the screen. They were a piece of furniture that our mothers polished along with the dining room table and chairs. It had to have a super glossy finish and never was it allowed to get a coating of dust. When I got married in the early 60's, our first TV was a small portable radio and TV combination. It was the cutest little thing. But we had to sit close to see the screen. We ended up pawning it to help with a moving expense.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.