BigMama asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

Plastic or net breeder?

For those that have used them, do you prefer the plastic breeders with the mesh on the bottom or the net breeders? I've used the plastic ones before, but are the net ones better?

Thanks!

• Akeath
    Favorite Answer

By the plastic with the mesh, do you mean a grid that creates a small compartment at the bottom? I'm going to answer assuming that is what you mean.

I like the plastic for the actual birthing period, because I find that with the compartment many more fry survive. With just the plain net, the mother tends to eat them all if you don't discover she's given birth immediately, but with the plastic w/ compartment the fry are able to hide down in the compartment where the mother can't catch them. Once I've seen that the mother has given birth, however, I net her and put her back in the main tank. Then I use the all net one, as it is larger, to let the fry grow large enough that they won't be eaten in. Basically, I think it is best to have them both on hand.

• I Quit

I personally like the net breeder because it allows the water to circulate through it better.

The nets are much better. They're generally bigger, and allow for better water circulation since they're all net. The sides are also soft so if the fish swims into it, there is less chance of damage.

For separating the fry after they're born I like the net. This one:

http://www.saltwatercritters.com/inc/sdetail/1366

swimmer

okorder