Is it "rude" to disagree about religious beliefs?

How would you define the difference between legitimate discussion/debate and "rudeness"?

So... rudeness entails:

Condemnation

Personal attacks

Failure to acknowledge other perspectives

Swearing or name calling

Threatening others with "hell" or violence

Trying to "force" others to agree with you

Insulting

Lying

• Favorite Answer

You may say anything you like. If someone is offended, that's their problem, not yours.

People will think, say and act any way they want. It is our choice to believe or accept these things, or not. Life is what we make it.

Religion and politics are the most controversial topics of discussion.

In regards to religion, I just stay within the realms of God, because God is Truth.

Well, I think there is a fine line. This is only because what one may consider a point for discussion and debate could be taken as offensive and rude to another person. Its completely subjective so I don't think there is any real way to define it. Personally, I don't mind people disagreeing with me or even saying that I am wrong. What I DO mind is when someone tries to force their religion down my throat. I am Atheist, so I also despise when I am told I am going to "burn in Hell" or something along those lines.

Overall, I think you will find many different answers for this question, but I don't think one can be considered right over the other because it is so opinionated.

Atheist

Lilian

No, it's not rude to disagree if you and the other part doesn't escalate the disagreement in to an area that becomes rude.

As a matter of fact I'm a Christian and I have a friend that is Atheist and we agree to disagree on religious subjects. But that doesn't stop us from "arguing" our side of the subject.

Source(s): hd

Rudeness would be insulting or making fun of another person's religion, lying and/or slandering their beliefs.

The Bible encourages discussion/debate done with respect and an honest search for answers. Acts 17:11 says, "Now the latter were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so".

• Footy

Yes, of course. And I'm totally guilty.

But in my opinion enabling dangerous religious delusion is a far worse thing. The abrahamic god is such a ridiculous concept, a cruel god invented by cruel men, that it is unconscionable to just allow the myth to continue on. Look at the damage belief in this monster god does. By mocking the obviously ridiculous, perhaps we can begin to move forward as a species. Yes, i do realize how grandiose that sounds, but such a change has to start small.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. Aristotle

Therefore atheists can have a lively debate!!

Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Therefore christians cannot stand anyone thinking even slightly different to themselves!!!

I saw a program the other night about the Alpha course, a guy told a bunch of agnostics he was trying to convert about how God had spoke to him on a bus, and one of them asked him how he knew it wasn't just a voice in his head, and he got "shouted down" for being patronizing.

I define the difference as whatever the person can take. An open minded and strong in faith person should not fear discourse.

Only intuitively. An argumentative discussion between two or more parties have many times lead to war. I'd say the wise thing to do is let the other person have their way with their own belief as Long as they can keep it to them self. what i mean is ; i see no sense in two people standing around assaulting one another with words.

Nah, it's totally possible to disagree without being a jerk. It's just that some people find it difficult to disagree with anyone without bringing up the insults. Even over things as simple as what pizza toppings you like, I get called a freak all the time for loving pineapple on my pizza :P

It is not rude to disagree, it is rude to be rude lol.

We all disagree, let's face facts. Name any subject and I bet I can find someone who will disagree with you about it.

But rudeness is not about disagreeing, rudeness is about the state of your own character.

I don't condemn, attack someone personally, call names or threaten with anything, I do not try to force others.

I will, however, give my view on the subject. Take it or leave it, it's up to you :)

I state what I know to be TRUE, (Caps lock = truth), and get a diagnosis from others.

That can be discouraging, sort of, but I also know that people's rudeness in that regard is only temporal. It will not survive very far into death. It will become knowledge for them too.

Every person is 'schizophrenic' when they are dead.