Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 decade ago

Do you agree Those who call illegals criminals are misreading the law & hurting their own communities?

Chief Timoney, Chief Art Acevedo of the Austin Police Department in Texas and former Chief Art Venegas of the Sacramento Police Department said local law enforcement had been undermined by the blurred line between crimes and violations of immigration law, which are civil.

Those who call illegal immigrants “criminals,” they said at a news conference here, are misreading the law and hurting their own communities by scaring neighbors who could identify criminals.

“When you remove the emotion from the debate,” Chief Acevedo said, "no one can argue that it is in the best interest of public safety to keep these people living in the shadows.”

The police chiefs here, having spent most of their careers in cities with large immigrant communities, said it would be impossible to send the nation’s 10 million to 15 million illegal residents home. They criticized last year’s roundups of illegal immigrants at workplaces, and the federal 287(g) program that has given at least 63 police departments a role in deporting illegal immigrants.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/02/us/02florida.htm...

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yeah and burglars, car thieves, and drunk drivers aren't criminals either. These two scumbag cops are proof of what I've been saying. The foundational principle of our justice system is EQUAL JUSTICE UNDER LAW. Meaning all laws will be enforce equally. If we are going to over look millions and millions of criminal acts. Simply because these criminals are our modern day slaves and some people are making a perverted profit off of them. Then NO laws should be obeyed.

We Americans need to stop finding any other American guilty of any crime, other than rape or child molestation. Until these scum who run our justice system and our government start enforcing ALL laws equally.

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Yes but he is obviously Hispanic so he is automatically biased in terms of illegal immigration. The fact remains that the first thing that 'they' do here is in fact illegal- meaning not legal or against the laws of the United States. My parents took the time to immigrate from Canada via Europe after the second world war. They learned the language within a year or less and flourished deciding not to be an underclass which is the fate of so many who ignore the laws and customs of their adopted land. I don't mean to be harsh but this is often the way that illegal immigration is perceived by Americans. Certainly they have been accommodated far better than my parents were at the time.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The majority of illegal aliens enter the US illegally. This is a violation of a criminal statute. A person who violates a criminal statute is a criminal.

The rest (with the exception of less than 1/10 of 1%) enter the US on a visa planning to stay in the US. This is called visa fraud, a felony. A person who commits a felony is a criminal. Ergo over 99.9% of illegal aliens are criminals based on how they entered the US. Add in the fact that over 99% commit a felony other than their immigration violation within 30 days of their entry and calling them criminals is the truth of the matter.

The police chiefs here (several out of how many?), having spent most of their careers in cities with large immigrant communities, said it would be impossible to send the nation’s 10 million to 15 million illegal residents home.

It would also be impossible to stop child molestation, rape, murder, etc. So we should let these people do whatever they want also?

Besides if the government would stop rewarding them and scum stop hiring them they would self deport.

• 1 decade ago

They are wrong in saying that we are misreading the law. All one has to do is go to the Immigration and Nationality Act site and read what violates the law under Title 8.

For those who enter the country illegally at any time is a felony. It is only referred to the courts for civil resolutions. It does not make the illegal entry a civil offense.

TITLE 8—ALIENS AND NATIONALITY

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/8/

US CODE: TITLE 8,1325. IMPROPER ENTRY BY ALIEN

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/search/display.... entry&url=/uscode/html/uscode08/usc_sec_08_00001325----000-notes.html

State and Local Authority to

Enforce Immigration Law

A Unified Approach for Stopping Terrorists

http://www.cis.org/articles/2004/back604.html

Excerpt:

"Arrests of Absconders. There are now more than 400,000 absconders at large in the United States. These aliens have had their day in immigration court and have disobeyed a final order of removal. The absconder problem has made a mockery of the rule of law in immigration. A substantial number of absconders have engaged in serious criminal activity in addition to their immigration violations. Most absconders have committed criminal violations of the INA. Others have committed civil violations only, if the underlying immigration violation was of a civil provision and the refusal to obey the order of removal was not willful. At the end of 2001, the Department of Justice and the INS launched the absconder initiative, which has continued under the Department of Homeland Security. Under this initiative, the process of listing absconders in NCIC was begun. Although the initiative has yielded many valuable arrests with the cooperation of state and local law enforcement, the effort has been hamstrung by the fact that the entry of names into NCIC has occurred at an alarmingly slow rate. Indeed, the number of absconders is growing faster than the entry of absconders into NCIC. Nonetheless, the entry of absconders’ names and information has already yielded success. As of March 1, 2004, the names of 28,304 absconders had been listed in NCIC; and 8,542 had been arrested, including 261 sexual predators."

How HR 4437 Would Criminalize Immigrants

http://www.nilc.org/immlawpolicy/CIR/cir003.htm

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

If you are here illegally for a long period of time, you are likely to go through illegal means to stay here.

There are those who have a business of selling fake licenses, auto insurance and other documents to these people. If they carry that they are breaking the law as well and potentially causing harm to actual Americans.

And yes, the law is that unless convicted by judge and jury they are not a criminal. BUT, if you knew your neighbor beat the crap out of his wife once a week, would you think he was not a criminal because he hadn't been prosecuted yet?

• 1 decade ago

A criminal is someone who breaks a law. It does not matter what law, as long as one is broken. Murder or Illegal parking are both laws, and people who break either law are both criminals.

Unless you want to "blurr the line" between "real" criminals and "fake" criminals both are considered criminal.

SO...breaking a civil law is still against the law, hence a person that breaks a law is criminal. That is not based on emotion, it logical.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i think we have a right to not want illegals here. they are using our system while the tax payers are fighting to keep this country afloat. my old man lost his job and an illegal filled it when he left. his old boss said why not hire an illegal who will take less pay. now i am the only one working and we have 3 kids. i am against anyone illegal or not working under the table, but you know what i was thinking? why don't i just get a job under the table and forget paying in the taxes i so love paying to help this country. i strongly believe what kennedy said, ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country. i am tired of doing for my govt who does nothing for it's citizens, but helps people who come here illegally and deserves nothing this country has.

• 6 years ago

Criminal Record Search Database : http://searchverifyinfos.com/Help

• Sasori
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

This is so lame! Take away incentives and they will leave at no cost to the US.

Crossing is a misdemeanor, it is a crime. You commit a crime you are a criminal.

• Potato
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

In the United States of America a person is only guilty of crime when a verdict is given by a Grand Jury.

Bellow you have the law of the land

United States Constitution.

Amendment 5 - Trial and Punishment, Compensation for Takings. Ratified 12/15/1791.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.