If, after the flood, Noah sacrificed one of every clean animal as a burnt offering to the Lord ...?

... how then were these animals repopulated upon the earth? They had no mates.

Genesis 8:19-20

8:19 Every beast, every creeping thing, and every fowl, and whatsoever creepeth upon the earth, after their kinds, went forth out of the ark.

8:20 And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.

Unless, of course, Noah took 7 of each animal.

Genesis 7:2

Of every clean beast thou shalt take thee by sevens, the male and his female.

Which is in direct defiance of what God commanded.

Genesis 6:19

Of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark.

Genesis 7:8, 9, 15

Of clean beast and of beasts that are not clean, and of fowl ... there went in two and two unto Noah into the ark, the male and the female, as God commanded Noah.

Can anyone help me understand this?

Update:

rhoho ... very nice.

Update 2:

But what if the impregnated females only gave birth to additional females? It happens.

Update 3:

Steadfast ... sacrificing newborns? I'm gonna cry!

Update 4:

(((((rhoho)))))

You're one of the few who do! :)

Update 5:

You know, there are some pretty cool answers coming in. Thanks to all.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There are actually two flood myths woven into one. The "J" source has him taking seven pairs of clean animals.

Here's the two stories split into the original sources:

http://energion.com/rpp/flood.shtml

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

There were two stories that were clumsily merged into one. One of the stories came from the priestly class which promoted the idea that the true priesthood of God didn't start until Aaron. Their story involved only one pair of each animal.

The other story, told by a group that did not tie the priestly tradition to a particular individual, stated that seven pairs of clean animals were brought in order to have enough for sacrifices.

Read the story carefully. You'll find many more examples that make it clear two separate stories were simply merged into one without changing conflicting details.

• 1 decade ago

He sacrificed the males, and the females were already pregnant. They were in that ark for a while.

ETA: It was actually standard procedure to sacrifice male animals, I believe. Why this is, I'm uncertain, but I think it has to do with the representation of the male being the bearer of truth (God commanded Adam in the garden, not Eve, about the fruit) and thus the bearer of the burden of sin. It was Adam's seed, after all, that carried the sin.

I like your questions. :)

• 1 decade ago

The traditional account passed down from Israel and the traditional account passed down from Judah were incorporated into a single narrative shortly after the Babylonian captivity. The editor didn't want to omit information from either account, so included both.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Matt 19

26 But Jesus looked at them and said to them, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It is presumed that everything was pregnant at the time and,or laying eggs.

The new borns would be unblemished and a perfect sacrifice.

• 1 decade ago

The proof readers were having a party the day Genesis went to print.

• God does not recognize gender.

• 1 decade ago

... Since there were hundreds of thousands of species it took him about 300 years to sacrifice one of each of them... only the ones that he got to in the first couple of months died out.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it's only a story

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.