Religious propaganda?

Is it considered to be wrong to group Christians in with the unbiblical acts of the Roman Catholic Church? Often times I will see people say "Christians killed pagans..." and "Religious propaganda" surrounding many of the questions on R&S. I don't see how anyone could group Christians with the blatant hypocrites of our past. We are commanded not to judge (as in condemnation or self righteous judgment) and when a Christian does this, they aren't doing the will of God, or they are rebelling. When someone rebels against their country, or government, they willingly exclude themselves in a militant or disrespectful way. That is what happened with those who misused their place in the church for personal gain (it isn't just with the Roman Catholics, it is also with many protestant denominations), they rebelled against the word of God. Whether they are saved or not is an issue that is between them or God, but actions such as that are not condoned by the Bible or by Christians. I see far more sex propaganda ("sex is ok, "just use contraception", "it's natural", "do what feels good".) being shoved down our throats than anything to do with religion. Comments? Immature sarcasm?

Update:

@ungh - the issue of witches is not your sense of morality over those who committed those crimes, it is a matter of belief. If you did believe that a person would give up their lives to Satan in exchange for supernatural abilities that they would use to harm or kill their fellow man, you would not be so quick to protect them. I am not saying that the Salem Witch Trials where the right way to do things, they were misused in order for people to get rid of people they didn't like.

Update 2:

@marty - again, the disobedience of God's word is rebellion and cannot be considered Christian behavior, bur rather the behavior of a misguided person.

Update 3:

@Evas - you are correct, humans are sexual creatures, that is how God created us, but we have taken the sacred gift of sex that God has given us and twisted it into something that can just be flaunted without consequence. I do not expect the Lost to act saved, but I also would prefer to have less of a sexual temptation when I simply go to buy some groceries.

Update 4:

@Myth Buster - the commands of death to those who committed such "small" sins was to show us how sinful we are in the sight of God. One lie deserves us the punishment of Hell, and that is what we must realize before we can accept the sacrifice that Jesus gave on the cross, that we have no defense and we need someone to take the punishment for us, because otherwise, it is an eternity of torment.

Update 5:

@wasacon - I think you are right about people thinking that the church is shoving this anti-sex principle down their throats, though it isn't true. Not everyone goes to church, and often their view of how the church thinks of sex is misunderstood because they are against fornication and adultery. The church (as in the body of believers, not the church buildings) views sex as a gift for married couples, not something to be avoided or abused.

Update 6:

@wasacon - I think you are right about people thinking that the church is shoving this anti-sex principle down their throats, though it isn't true. Not everyone goes to church, and often their view of how the church thinks of sex is misunderstood because they are against fornication and adultery. The church (as in the body of believers, not the church buildings) views sex as a gift for married couples, not something to be avoided or abused.

Update 7:

Update 8:

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

How about the Salem witch trials?

They were condoned by the bible

Ever heard the bible verse that says: "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live"?

EDIT: wow. you seriously believe that sending people to the gallows is the right way to handle specious claims? there's no such thing as witchcraft. your religion murdered those people!

• 1 decade ago

I see the deeds done in the Christian God's as actually things done by people wanting to uphold their position of power using God as a weapon or excuse to get rid of people they don't like. Most religions have members guilty of this; greed, love of power and selfishness is more dangerous than any religion, an atheist can be just as self-righteous or evil as anyone else.

Us pagans and Heathens don't have a love and peace history either and our ancestors went to war and kill with their gods on their side just as the Christians claim, the differnece is that over the last 1500 years in Europe we have lost and are now a very small minority, this does not give us the moral high ground no matter what some people may say.

Source(s): I'm a Heathen (for 25 years) but don't hate Christianity, I hate religious power craving bigots.
  • 1 decade ago

I cant seem to get any farther than one thinking that Catholics and Christians are 2 two different things. That right there might lead one to believe that you are referring to the Holy Local Corner church of We Hate You.

Many people see that "Sex is not OK"; "It's unnatural"; being shoved down our throats in the name of religion that has nothing at all to do with an individual's personal relationship with their Creator. How I intrepret Scripture is up to me, not the Local Corner church.

Going in back in history and time and viewing man's inhumanity to man is valuable tool that God has given us to be able to learn from human-kind's mistakes. Whether atrocities were done in the name of religion, money, power, depravity; dare we call ourselves human based on the events of the past?

There are good honest true and faithful people who lived their lives without trying to conquor, rule, shove their power on others, or harvest enough money to build huge cathedrals in their own honor. But we dont hear of or know these folks because they are not glory-seeking.

The propoganda on any side at all to me has more to do with attaining a sense of personal power and control and self-righteousness.

This is a great question, one that could be fabulously debated by logical people who want to exchange viewpoints and expand their own thinking. Thank you for posting it.

• Are these verses propaganda or actually in the Bible?

Kill the Entire Town if One Person Worships Another God

Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him." (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)

Kill Followers of Other Religions.

1) If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst. (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)

2) Suppose a man or woman among you, in one of your towns that the LORD your God is giving you, has done evil in the sight of the LORD your God and has violated the covenant by serving other gods or by worshiping the sun, the moon, or any of the forces of heaven, which I have strictly forbidden. When you hear about it, investigate the matter thoroughly. If it is true that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, then that man or woman must be taken to the gates of the town and stoned to death. (Deuteronomy 17:2-5 NLT)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Gee Ok here is your own set of Christian Atrocities you can be proud of..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB9_x93sIDw

Youtube thumbnail

When someone rebels against their country, or government, they willingly exclude themselves in a militant or disrespectful way

Humm that reminds me of The Christian Sweeden in the 1500's what a nice country to catholics ,,,,,,

Source(s): see far more sex propaganda http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKM2p8NLv1w
  • 1 decade ago

No true scotsman fallacy. They worship the same so-called "god" you do, the believe the same bollocks, they read the same bronze age fantasy novel.

Christianity is the same load of BS no matter which variety. Learn to deal with that.

• Evas
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yeah, rewrite church history, humans are sexual beings, just a biological FACT!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i would love to see someone try keeping 2 teenagers in heat from having sex

Source(s): it'd make a great comedy
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Your beliefs are innately hateful. So there can be no accord between you, the enemies of humanity, and us - humanity.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.