Do anyone know anything about "the phenomenon of the moon split"?

I've heard about it and I'm quite not sure if it was true or what?!!!so anyone answer me ?

Favorite Answer

It is an Islamic story. The prophet supposedly split the moon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splitting_of_the_moon

You can read about it on some of the whackier Islamic fundamentalist websites. Even see pictures of Moon rilles and pseudo-scientific hand-waving explaining it all.

Basically, it's nonsense.

If you are Muslim and you say things like "hey, doesn't the line "split Moon" conjure up the impression that the writer was talking about First or Last Quarter?" you get stoned.. or at least a really stony stare. Like the Bible in the 14th century, the Koran is currently infallible. Let's see how long that lasts, shall we?

Remember, it's 2009. The 21st century. We have planes, trains and TiVo. It's about time to put away silly superstition, the belief in splitting the Moon, parting the Red Sea, dipping your "spear" into the ocean to create the land... come ON!

• There is a passage in the Q'uran (Koran) that refers to the moon splitting.

Verse [54:1]: “The moon has split and the hour has drawn closer”

Some have taken this for a revelation, a warning of doom.

It has no basis in fact, it's just a story, no more real than the story of Jonah and the whale.

Where did you hear about it? Somebody else asked a similar question a couple of days ago. Where is this coming from?

No, the moon has no plans to split. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, that I've ever heard in my life that says anything like that.

• GeoffG

The splitting of the Moon was apparently a miracle performed by Muhammad, described in the Qu'ran. This is controversial even within Islam. There is no scientific evidence that this ever happened, or even could happen.

It's a banana split made with moon pies.