­
Lv 4
­ asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 1 decade ago

In Islam the wearing of Gold and Silk are haram for men.?

In Islam the wearing of Gold and Silk are haram for men. Can anyone explain from the quran or from the sunnah that why are these things haram.

Update:

@diamant

Very accurate, no contest!

Update 2:

Heres a few, but diamant is more indepth.

There are many hadiths which cover this subject, here are a few:

Sunan Abu Dawud, Book 27, Hadith 4046 - Narrated by Ali ibn Abu Talib: The Prophet of Allah (SAW) took silk and held it in his right hand, and took gold and held it in his left hand and said: "both of these are prohibited to the males of my community"

Sahih Al-Bukhari HadithHadith 7.731 Narrated byAli bin Abi Talib

The Prophet gave me a silk suit. I went out wearing it, but seeing the signs of anger on his face, I tore it and distributed it among my wives.

Sunan of Abu-DawoodHadith 4224 Narrated byAbuHurayrah

The Prophet (pbuh) said: If anyone wants to put a ring of fire on one he loves, let him put a gold ring on him: if anyone wants to put a necklace of fire on one he loves, let him put a gold necklace on him, and if anyone wants to put a bracelet of fire on one he loves let him put a gold bracelet on him. Keep to silver and amuse yourselves with it.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Islam has, prohibited two kinds of adornment for men, while permitting them to women. These are, first, gold ornaments and, second, clothing made of pure silk. `Ali reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) took some silk in his right hand and some gold in his left, declaring, "These two are haram for the males among my followers." (Reported by Ahmad, Abu Dawud, an-Nasa'i, Ibn Hayyan, and Ibn Majah, who reports the additional phrase, "but halal for the females.") `Umar reported that he heard the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) say, "Do not wear silk, for those who wear it in this life shall not wear it in the Hereafter." (Reported by al-Bukhari and Muslim) On another occasion, referring to a silken garment, he said, "This is the dress of a man who has no character.'' (Reported by al-Bukhari and Muslim)

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) once saw a gold ring on a man's hand. He immediately took it from him and threw it down saying, "Does a person pick up a piece of burning coal and hold it in his hand?" After the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) had left the place, someone asked the man, "Why do you not pick it up and benefit from it?" He replied, "No, by Allah! I shall not pick it up after the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) has thrown it away." (Reported by Muslim)

The same prohibition which applies to the gold ring likewise applies to what we observe among conspicuous spenders, i.e., the gold pen, gold watch, gold cigarette case and lighter, gold teeth, etc.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), however, permitted men to wear silver rings. On the authority of Ibn `Umar, al-Bukhari reported the former saying, "The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) wore a silver ring. After him, Abu Bakr and then `Umar and `Uthman wore it, until it fell off his finger into the well of Arees." (Reported by al-Bukhari) As for other metals such as iron, there are no sound texts prohibiting them. On the contrary, in the Sahih of al-Bukhari we find that the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) advised a man who wanted to marry a woman to, "Present her with a gift, even if it be ring made of iron." On the basis of this hadith al-Bukhari inferred the permissibility of iron rings.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) made concessions in the wearing of silken garments for medical reasons, as he gave `Abd ar-Rahman ibn `Awf and az-Zubayr ibn al-`Awwam, both of whom suffered from scabies, permission to wear silk. (Reported by al-Bukhari)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>>>>>The Wisdom of These Two Prohibitions Concerning Men

By means of these two prohibitions which concern men, Islam's aim is to achieve certain noble educational and moral objectives.

Since it is the religion of jihad (striving) and strength, Islam must safeguard the manly qualities of men from any show of weakness, passivity, and lethargy. Allah has made the physique of the man different from that of the woman, and it does not befit a man to wear clothes made of fine material or to adorn his body with costly ornaments.

There is, however, a social aim underlying these prohibitions. The prohibition of gold and silk to males is part of a broader Islamic program of combating luxuriousness in living. From the Qur'anic point of view, luxurious living leads to weakness among nations and to their eventual downfall; the existence of luxury is also an expression of social injustice, as only a few can afford luxurious items at the expense of the deprived masses of people.

In addition to this, luxurious living is an enemy of every call towards truth, justice, and social reform. The Qur'an says: "And when We intend that We should destroy a township, we permit its luxury-loving people to commit wickedness therein. Then the word is proved true against it, and We then destroy it utterly." (Al-Isra': 16) and again, "And We did not send a warner to any township without its luxury-loving people saying, 'Assuredly we are disbelievers in that with which you have been sent.'" (Saba': 34)

In keeping with the spirit of the Qur'an, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) forbade Muslims any indulgence in conspicuous consumption. He not only forbade the use of gold and silk to men but also forbade men and women alike the use of gold and silver utensils.

Finally, economic considerations also carry some weight here. Since gold is a universal medium of exchange, using it to make household utensils or ornaments for men does not make sense in economic terms.

• 4 years ago

Silk For Men

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Gold is not prohibited in the Quran, Only fabricated hadiths attributed to the prohet mention them, All the answers are in the Quran, if Allah almighty has not made it haram then no body else even the prohet can make it haram. This is mentione clearly in the quran , no Hadith can over rule the Quran,

• 7 years ago

Gold or silk were never prohibited by Allah almighty, in the Quran there is no prohibiton regarding them both.

Only fabricated attributed to the prophet mention the prohibition , and people taje these Hadiths to be superior than the Quran, you chose Quran or Hadith, only allah almighty has the power to tell us what is haram or halal not even the prophet PBUH has that authority. This is entioned in the Quran clearly.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

Because the entire Islamic world is a big hypocrisy lead by sociopath Imams that release fatwas based on their warped view of what the Quran actually says.

God did not forbid men to wear Gold or silk. - the Quran ( ADVISED ) not to wear it for obvious reasons such as envy and thievery. That is all.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Gold and silk is not prohibited for use by men. Prohibiting Allahs's blessings in the name of Allah is the greatest sin (5:48-49; 6:145-150; 7:31-32; 10:59-60; 18:31; 22:23; 35:33; 42:21).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, wearing silk or gold is haram for men, and I am sorry i can't exactly back it up, but I have heard many times by mullahs and sheikhs and from my imam in his khutbahs. If you want to know why exactly you can go on salamcenter.org then click on the imams corner, and you can ask him by emailing.

• 7 years ago

Sin does not produced from outside but from inside (within). What's the intention / mind of the person doing the act? In this context, it is wearing silk. If it is to show off or humiliate others, then it is a sin. If it is to show respect to others then it is not. It is illogical to think that "dead" thing can cause us to be sin. Sin is the result of our bad doing.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Wearing gold and silk are haraam in Islam, because that will show how rich or superior you are than someone who is poor. These things are symbols of wealth, and Allah (SWT) does not like those who show off their wealth.

Salaam.

:)

• 1 decade ago

I'm not sure where it's written off the top of my head, but its haram cuz it makes the man appear like a woman

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

I'm very curious about the answer to this

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.