When politicians and talking heads use the expression "common sense" what do they ussually mean?

Not asking what common sense is, but how the expression is used in mainstream American politics?

Anyone have an idea? Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

It means eating the sh't they're trying to sell all wrapped in a pretty bow, I would characterize it as a pseudo-logical phenomenon that caters to the complacent masses.

I thought the Sharks were gonna lose 6-1 after that awful first period. They pulled it together, but I definitely wouldn't say they dominated. Unless the Wings become the 3rd team in history to come back from a 0-3 deficit, the Sharks will take the series, but I don't see a comeback happening.

Common Sense is something the Republicans did not have, and Common Sense is something the Democrats do not have enough to solve the Common Sense problems that are ruining America.

To a neocon, Common Sense is making a snap judgment without reflection. It became Trent Lott's default sneering expression during the 1990s without explaining why or what he meant.

A three-year-old knows not to touch a hot stove after one experience. That is real common sense. So, as applied to the answers I see here from neocons, Common Sense is employing a three-year-old's mindset to complex problems.

Harold Hill (aka Glenn Beck) is the perfect example of deliberately misapplying common sense.

The "Common Sense" the so many politicians use generally refers to how "They" - the politician - see's it, and does not usually refer to the will of the people.

Most politicians don't have any commons sense.

The stimulus recovery package was rushed through and no one read it. It was the largest spending bill in history and no one read it. Does that make any sense?

You don't spend money you don't have. A third grader knows this. It is common sense.

It is common sense that you can't have 50 million more people in the health care system without more doctors. That is commons sense. You have to plan ahead for health care reform. You have to have about 20%-30%more doctors first. Then you can start reform.

It is common sense that republicans suck. They are socialist ligh.

It is common sense that democrats are full blown socialists and how no clue what is going on.

It is commons sense that Cap-and-trade will kill.

It is common sense that unless you start health care reform with more doctors it won't work.

"Common sense" means in politics that you should easily see the politician's argument as correct (whether it is or not) so as not to be supposedly considered stupid by the politician and his constituents.

Dang it Brian, you took the answer right out of my mouth! Lol

XD

How I see it, its their sense of reality that they are putting on us with ideas that are NOT working or are a big failure to be that will cost the American people greatly. they are basically out of control nut jobs with no common sense and no sense of the real world. they are living in Dreamland while our country is in real danger right in our own home

something that I don't have if I disagree what the politicians and their blind lovers say.

from their point of view the emphasis is on "common" in this expression not the "sense".

It means the conclusions that would be made by the common man, the regular person, the usual American citizen, who is supposed to be considerate, fair and thoughtful. That was a goal of civil society for a very long time.

Not like the Neocons and propagandists on this board who are mostly biting, hateful and insulting.

• Em

I wouldn't rely on any politicians notion of common sense.