Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 1 decade ago

Is the customer service at Dell really that bad? What laptop should I choose? (Design student)?

I'm a Communication Design student going into the second year of UNT's 4 year program. It is now required that we have our own laptop to bring to class, and I am pulling my hair out trying to earn enough money to get a nice one by the end of the summer.

I need the laptop to last for 4 years, because I know after graduation I will not have enough money for a new one right off.

I had my heart set on a 17-inch Dell Studio laptop for months. Customized with the Design Studio cover, maxed out processor, 4 gigs of RAM, the whole bit. The price of the system before tax comes to around $1500. Recently I began reading user reviews on CNET and similar sites, and the reviews for these laptops are atrocious. Ranging from crap computers to terrible and time-wasting service, I'm definitely on guard now.

I have three options:

I can buy the Studio laptop.

*I love the included numberpad

*Much better customization options

*Larger screen

*Not a Mac OS

*I already have Adobe CS3 for PC

I can buy a 13" Macbook Pro with the 2.53 GHz processor, 4 gigs of RAM and Applecare

*More portability

*I already have a 19" monitor I can hook it up to make up for the diminished screen size

*Seems much more reliable

*I could get a free 8 GB iPod touch, then sell it on craigslist for about $200 which would essentially cover the cost of the care plan.

*Having a computer that actually has Helvetica on it would be nice.

Buying a used MacBook Pro off of craigslist

*Sort of risky

*A lot of these are just designers upgrading to a bigger size, so many of these have Adobe CS4 pre-installed which is a huge bonus.

*Cheaper, but no free iPod to sell off.

My main PC to Mac concern is that if I buy a new mac I will not have enough money to buy an Adobe suite, which means I'll either have to run those only on Windows in bootcamp, or I'll have to find means of pirating it. :(

The other big concern is that I won't have enough money to buy these until about two weeks before I move back in to school. So if I do buy a Dell online, and it's a lemon and needs to be sent back and refunded, I probably won't get it all dealt with before classes start, and that's a big problem.

I am in no way interested in buying an HP, almost everyone I know has problems with them. My girlfriends hard drive crashed, my friend's went to **** shortly after the warranty expired. Most people I hear who have problems with them, have the issues right after the warranty's up.

I am insistent on paying for an extended warranty. A lot of people say it's a waste, but I would much rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I don't want a mac because it's a design standard. I would prefer not to have the same damn laptop every other kid in my class has, I am solely concerned about reliability and overall value.

The Studio laptop and Macbooks that I mentioned above are roughly the same price if you take into consideration me selling off the free iPod and going off the student price for macbooks. The Dell student discount isn't as good and they don't seem to offer studio 17's...

I would like to hear some advice on laptop owners as to where I should go now. Please only answer if you actually own one of the laptops in question, I need to hear from real customers, and please no "Macs are bullshit get a PC" kind of answers and vice versa.

• 4REEE
    Favorite Answer

I have bought 4 Dell laptops and 1 desktop. Always awesome!

I highly recommend them.

You mentioned that your machine has to be reliable for 4 years. If that's the case, then I would recommend that you purchase Dell's 4 year warranty that includes immediate service and repair.

It's pricey, but worth it if you have to have it fixed right away and get tech support.

Heck, you can even get Accidental Care for these things now. That might be worth it to you too.

Make sure you get a good padded carrying case of some sort for the laptop.

As for their customer service. It all depends. When I get routed to the Philippines, some of those people's English are pretty darn good.

In India, it's hit or miss. Some are great, some not so great. It's a luck of the draw.

Good luck.

*

*

*

Personally, since you already have an external monitor, you can get something smaller than the 17". Maybe a 15" Studio that'll be more portable with very similar performance. A compromise that might be worth considering. And it'll save you a few hundred dollars.

Dell's support is pretty good. I've only used them once to request a Vista DVD and they shipped it overnight free of charge. Had a few chats with Tech Support, and they were very knowledgeable. But the Business support could differ from common Indian tech support. I tried Apple support also, and they were more or less the same.

Go to a store nearby that carries a wide array of laptops and check out how these laptops feel. One person's dislike might be another person's liking.

If it were me, I'd get the Dell no contest. I've never had a bad experience with Dell support. Of course, I don't have to deal with them all that often, but I would say that Dells are a top-tier computer manufacturer.

I would definitely not buy a Mac off craigslist. It's hard to tell what you're getting and people try to sell used Macs for WAY more than they're worth.

Dell is really that bad. i just got a new laptop for my birthday in january of 07 and within maybe 2 mths i was handling it wrong and my thumb had cracked the entire screen. thinking all was well and it was covedred under the warranty we called them and apparently nothing caused my the user is covered... no damage WHATSOEVER is covered. so pretty much they blamed me for the problem and told me id pay full to have it fixed. well having th emother i do she fought tooth and nail to get the guy to give us a new screen.... the catch? we had to take it apart and install it ourselves... i will never again buy a Dell... i went with HP DV7 17" and i love it, no problems with vista either.

mother in law had a dell. called customer service for her one day. the comp was less than a week old. dell rep. told me to open the case and remove the memory card and put it back in. opening the case would break the sticker and void the warranty. removing the memory card and putting it back in would not have fixed the problem she was having with the color on the monitor. so personally i don't think they know what they are doing. anything but a dell

• Gina

challenging thing. browse on to yahoo. just that may help!