How long does it take for Leukemia symptoms to set in?

Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, specifically.

Favorite Answer

It depends on what type of leukemia a patient has. Some are chronic leukemias that may go on for years before diagnosis, and others are acute leukemias that must be diagnosed immediately and treated within the first 48 hours. Without treatment AML or ALL may be fatal within 6 weeks, but again, it's an individual prognosis. The most common chronic leukemia are CLL and less common CML. Both chronic leukemias are most common in older adults and rare in children. Children, more often, are diagnosed with an acute leukemia - most commonly ALL. AML is more rare than ALL and also found mostly in people over the age of 50.

I have met many children with ALL over the last 2 1/2 years but I know more about AML - the two are closely related. My 2 1/2 year old son E was diagnosed with a Wilms' Tumour as a newborn, won his battle, and was recently diagnosed with Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML). AML is related to ALL but is still quite different. His cancer is most likely a secondary cancer caused by the chemotherapy his first time when he fought Wilms. E somehow passed his screenings he has every 3 months back in October but in the end of November we started to notice he wasn't quite himself, and he was diagnosed December 19th.

There are lots of symptoms of leukemia but each individual is different. Some display some symptoms while others display other ones. There's no actual tumour as in other cancers but leukemia is a cancer of the cells that create blood cells. E had a cold in November that he just couldn't kick. We took him to the doctor and he was given an antibiotic. He got a little better but as soon as he finished the antibiotic he got sick again. He usually has a couple bruises here and there since he is a 2 year old. His walking was greatly affected from one of the drugs in his first chemo cocktail so he trips and falls pretty often. But the bruising he had was more than usual - he bruised at the slightest bump. That's when we really knew something was wrong and took him to the doctor again. Once he was diagnosed we found out that his spleen and liver were enlarged - also symptoms of leukemia. Due to the extent of enlargement of his spleen, he had it removed after a round of chemotherapy. So far he has had 3 strong doses of induction chemo and 3 consolidation rounds, and he's labeled as being in remission! He still has 3-5 rounds of consolidation chemo left just to make sure all of the cancerous cells are gone. He will also have a bone marrow transplant when a donor becomes available.

He had some joint pain at the time of diagnosis. I have to say I didn't really think too much of the joint pain because he doesn't walk well due to one of the previous chemotherapy drugs he had - Vincristine. Because of Vincristine his leg muscles are weaker and he walks with "slapfoot" or "dropfoot" and he trips and falls fairly often. I figured his joint pain was because of falling but since his diagnosis I now see that it was probably because of the leukemia. On treatment he has had a significant amount of bone and joint pain, especially early on. When it's clear that he is in pain, he does get pain meds to help. I think the painkillers do help him but I think even then he does have some pain but duller than without painkillers.

A leukemia diagnosis is absolutely not a death sentence. It's treatable but you have to keep in mind that it does take lives. I know many children and adults that have gone on to live completely normal lives after getting their No Evidence of Disease (NED) status. Sometimes a patient does relapse but it is absolutely possible that he or she can reach remission and eventually NED status.

I hope this helped you out some. If you have any more questions feel free to email me (crazycanuckj@yahoo.ca) or IM me (crazycanuckj).

Source(s): My 2 year old son is a warrior who beat a Wilms' Tumour and is currently battling Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. http://www.caringbridge.com/visit/warrioreli

Hi! I'm sorry you haven't gotten any answers yet, I hate when that happens to me, especially when I'm worried. I want to be a pediatric oncologist when I grow up and I am a big hypochondriac, so I have researched this alot. First of all, it definitley sounds like leukemia. Have you been having night sweats? It could be lymphoma. It could also be osteosarcoma. You really need to go to the doctor, but I know sometimes that can't happen immediatley, so prick your finger. Is the blood lighter than normal? If you do have leukemia, and it has progressed really far, you will have a ton of blasts (cancerous white blood cells) in your blood. That would make your blood a little lighter than usual. Of course, that would only work if you had it very severly and couldn't wait for an appointment. Try not to worry, sometimes thinking about it causes my symptoms. Good luck, and I hope I helped!

• Sharon

That is an individual thing. There are many factors that determines how soon we have symptoms and how sick we get to any disease process we might acquire. Things like how healthy our immune system was to begin with, our nutritional status, how healthy our other body systems are such our renal system, our hepatic system, our cardiac and respiratory systems are, etc. Also others things such as our hydration status and other familial problems we may have such diabetes, etc. No two people are alike.

Source(s): I am a RN