Buying a house soon! Need some advice on whether we might qualify for FHA loan or not!?

My husband and I are starting the pre-approval process for a home loan. We'll be first-time buyers. We live in Texas, so we'll be able to use the $8000 tax credit as a downpayment on a FHA loan, if we qualify.

We make almost $85,000 a year between the two of us and want to purchase a $165,000 home. Our credit scores are 599 and 555 right now, but we have a bunch of items on our credit reports that we are disputing currently to try to clean it up.

Does anyone think we'll qualify for a FHA loan?

Army Wife - I'm not sure where you looked, but here it is. You can get a bridge loan and use the entire tax credit as downpayment.

http://www.fha.com/fha_article.cfm?id=82

Best Answer

Your scores are way too low and you can not use the 8,000 as a down payment, you can apply it towards your down payment but you must still come up with 3.5% for the down payment. This is directly from their website

Although the credit cannot be used towards the minimum down payment of 3.5%, under the new guidelines, home buyers may apply for it to be used as an additional down payment or towards other closing costs. So, the borrower must still provide the initial 3.5% from acceptable sources.

FHA itself won't disqualify you with those low scores but the banks will. Each bank has the right to determine the lowest score they will accept and it is rare a bank will approve anyone under 620. If you can clean up your report in time, you may be okay but it can take a long time to improve your credit, especially if you are disputing errors on the report. If you only have the tax credit to use as downpayment, the bank may be even more reluctant.

Sorry BBJ but Armywife is correct. Here is a portion of the text from the site you posted:

The Department of Housing and Urban Development announced those using FHA lenders and HUD-approved non profit agencies are eligible to take advantage of the 2009 First Time Home-buyers Tax Credit in a new way--****as part of the down payment****.

The 2009 tax credit for first time home-buyers provides a tax break totaling 10% of the purchase price of the home with a maximum tax credit of $8000. (The amount may be less depending on the purchase price.) For those applying for an FHA mortgage, *****that entire amount can be used for at closing time********

Now read that closely and you will notice that the way it's word is intentional vague. It states "as part of the down payment" meaning you would need the minimum 3.5% and then "that entire amount can be used at closing" Of course the entire amount can be used at closing but that only means you can use it cover your closing costs and any down payment in excess of the 3.5% required. Also notice that the website you listed is a .com site while this one (http://portal.hud.gov/portal/page?_pageid=73,80268... is a .gov site

To get the truth visit the site listed above.

Source(s): I'm a mortgage banker/broker http://portal.hud.gov/portal/page?_pageid=73,80268...

I know there is a '45 day window' before any changes will be made to your credit score. You can contact companies; such as Credit Improvers & they can sometimes up your credit score so many points between 30 & 45 days. But is does cost around $200. There are very few companies that will except the 599 score as long as you meet all other requirements.

Source(s): Personal Experience

Hello,

My Name is Maureen Sliver i live in the UK and life is worth living comfortably for me and my family now and i really have never seen goodness shown to me this much in my life as i am a struggling mum with three kids and i have been going through a serious problem as my husband encountered a terrible accident last two weeks, and the doctors states that he needs to undergo a delicate surgery for him to be able to walk again and i could not afford the bill for his surgery then i went to the bank for a loan and they turn me down stating that i have no credit card, from there i run to my father and he was not able to help, then when i was browsing through yahoo answers and i came across a loan lender Mrs Lillian Johnson who provides loans at an affordable interest rate and i have been hearing about so many scams on the internet but at this my desperate situation, i had no choice than to give it an attempt and surprisingly it was all like a dream, i received a loan of $35,000 USD and i payed for my husband surgery and thank GOD today he is okay and can walk and is working and the burden is longer so much on me any more and we can feed well and my family is happy today and i said to my self that i will shout aloud to the world of the wonders of GOD to me through this GOD fearing lender Mrs Lillian Johnson and i will advise anyone in genuine and serious need of loan to contact this GOD fearing woman via lillianjohnsonloancompany22@yahoo.com and i want you all to pray for this woman for me.

I am Joy Anderson i was in need of a loan of $100 000 USD and was scammed by those fraudulent lenders and a friend introduce me to Mr John clarke,and he lend me the loan without any stress,you can contact him at clarkeloanscompany12@yahoo.com

Good day,

I am Mr.John Clarke by name, a Reputable loan lender I give out loan to those who are in need of financial assistance. Are you looking for money to pay bills?

I want you to know that we can help you by lending you if you will give us the chance to help you,

we will be glad to offer you a loan of any amount of choice we offer over $250,000.00 , to top business men and women, our loan interest rate is 2% .

if you are interested you get back to us with this application form filled.

APPLICATION FORM

NAME.

ADDRESS.

COUNTRY.

PHONE NUMBER

OCCUPATION

STATE.

Necessary amount as loan.

Purpose of loan.

Duration of the loan.

Monthly income.

Have you ever applied for a loan?

Thanks for your time

Mr John Clarke (C.E.O)

clarkeloanscompany12@yahoo.com