What airports in the U.S. do pilots typically apply full power during takeoff?

I am mainly talking about the MD80, 737-800, 757-200, 767-300, 777-200

Update:

airports like Denver, Salt Lake, and other hot and high airports

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

There really is no direct answer to that question, however, I will do my best to give you an explanation why

It depends on the required performance of the airplane. Here are some things that will INCREASE the need for more power any one of these CAN be enough to "tip the scale" in favor of "full" power.

Short runway

Carrying more weight (Passengers, cargo, fuel)

Hot day

Higher pressure-altitude airport

Tailwind, or no wind

Obstacles on the climb out (Mountains, Buildings, etc.)

Contamination on the runway (snow, sand, etc.)

Anything opposite to the above list will decrease the need for "full" power.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head. The first four are usually the largest factors.

So, as you can see, most of these factors change on a daily basis, or even an hourly basis, so it is impossible to compile a list of "typical airports" especially since you have not specified a specific aircraft.

Just to clarify.... the destination has absolutely NOTHING to do with amount of power used on takeoff.

Hope this helps

Source(s): My Brain. I am an airline pilot and a flight instructor.
  • 1 decade ago

It all doesn't depend on height and heat though. Places like Santa Ana, California-KSNA, the runway is extremely short, if you are in a DAL 757 going to KATL or anywhere kinda far, the pilot will defiantly apply full thrust on takeoff. Also Chicago Midway-KMDW is one, the runways are very short there, it's all mainly southwest planes that fly in and out of there. But I imagine if a SWA plane is going to like KPHX or somwhere around that range they would be kinda heavy and do full thrust, if they are going to like KIAD or KBWI, probably not. Oh and one more, KBUR-Burbank Airport is quite small too. There are several more, but notice how none of those are in high hot places haha? So basically it could be anywhere, mainly depends on your weight. Hope this helps! : )

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Depends on the weight, temperature, altitude, and runway length. When the first three go UP and the runway length get SHORTER, full thrust may be required to meet engine out climb performance.. ("hot and high")

Typically, for the MD80, hot and high airports are in the desert and/or mountains.

Source(s): MD80 Captain
  • 3 years ago

No, it is very unlikely to ensue. the excuses are: - Assuming the KLM 747 used flaps 20 for take-off, nevertheless, that they had crossed the proximity of maneuvering the airplane off warding off a collision. whether he runs the flaps to complete, he will would desire to in enhance rotate, because of the fact the flap extension heavily isn't rapid sufficient to shrink the Vr to a lesser velocity. - Thick fog had constrained the visibility and the team observed the different airplane whilst that they had crossed the edge to just about stay away from a collision by including complete flaps and rotating into the air. - Plus, the perspective of attack of the KLM airplane replaced into way too severe, ineffective to point out, out of desperation the captain grew to become around the airplane into the air violently inflicting a tailstrike. Who would not panic whilst they see a 747 taxiing head on, jointly as on take-off roll and at one hundred forty knots?!?! Many different issues ought to've prevented the collision: - A extra precise and precise dealing with from the ATC. jointly as the KLM co-pilot used an unusual word on the transmission to the tower asserting "we are at take-off", the tower spoke back asserting "ok". Reportedly, the controller team were listening to a soccer tournament on radio. - After the possibility at Gran Canaria international Airport were contained, government reopened the airport. The Pan Am airplane replaced into waiting to leave, however the KLM airplane and a refueling motor vehicle obstructed a thank you to the energetic runway. The Pan Am airplane replaced into no longer able to flow around the fueling KLM, attain the runway and leave with the aid of a loss of purely 12 ft (3.7 m) of clearance. Captain had desperate to absolutely refuel at Los Rodeos extremely of Las Palmas, curiously to keep time. The refueling took approximately 35 minutes.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

High altitude airports typically are designed with extremely long runways to accommodate the altitude. Problem airports are usually older airports near major cities built before jets became common and where land is not available to lengthen the runways. Denver has a 14,000 foot runway, Chicago Midway's longest runway is only 6,500 feet long, LaGuardia in NY has only 7,000 feet.

• 1 decade ago

Out of Orange County, CA (SNA) they have a noise control ordinance over a certain portion of the county. Planes leave the runway very steep and fast to gain altitude so that they can throttle back the engines while flying over the controlled area.

Without a doubt, the most 'exciting' take-off in the US

Source(s): former flight attendant who always felt rocket launched out of SNA
  • 1 decade ago

I can address the pertinent negative; engine wear and life-length. If using maximum thrust (as opposed to "reduced" thrust levels) did not put more stress on the engine, and cause it to "wear out" sooner, I believe it would be used much, much more often.

Basically, operators use the minimum thrust required for this reason.

Source(s): I have significant turbine pilot time.
  • Mark
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Full power has a specific meaning in aviation.

Those airliners do not use full power for normal takeoffs.

They use either maximum power or standard (reduced) power.

Full power, which manuals sometimes call radar power or firewall power, is used in emergencies.

• ken k
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

scranton-wilkesbarre they are in a hurry to get out

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.