What if the kid had died anyway?

Some of you may have heard this story.

But, a young girl got very sick (with what, I can't remember at the moment.) and her parents didn't want to bring her to the Hospital. Instead they chose to pray for her. The girl ended up not making it through (very sad..) and now the parents are being charged for murder (I think, it may be something else.)

Sorry I don't have much on it, just overheard it on the news.

But, I was wondering what your opinion on it is? I think they shouldn't be charged. No, I'm not Christian, so don't preach to me about that. If the she had died in the hands of the doctors, they wouldn't be charged. So, why are the parents?

Opinions?

Just putting it out there, no, I would NEVER do this.

But, they were trying, so I don't think it could be counted as neglect. Just because they weren't trying in the same way the average person would, doesn't mean they weren't doing what they felt was right.

Favorite Answer

Their negligence killed their kid.

They have the right to refuse medical treatment if they themselves want to try some prayer treatment crap, but they have no right to endanger the life of their underage child.

Would you not want criminal charges against parents who let a baby starve to death? That is child endangerment, and it most certainly is a crime. This is no different. Instead of failing to provide food to their child, the failed to provide medical care.

• I haven't heard the story, but if a child is sick, and her parents don't even try to get her help, isn't that negligence? And if the child dies as a result of the parents' inaction, isn't that manslaughter, at a very minimum? Had the parents taken the child to the doctor and allowed them to treat her, she at least would have had a chance. Had she died anyway after treatment, there likely would be an autopsy to determine cause of death and see if the something the doctors did or did not do contributed. But medical facilities know that this sort of thing happens and are prepared for it.

The thing is, the parents didn't even TRY. And they got a hard lesson that prayer doesn't work.

And what if they took her to the hospital for treatment and she survived? They would still have their child with them.

• Ishtar

When a child is sick, the parents are legally and morally required to get the best possible help for that child. That means medical attention. They can pray all they want, but they need to get appropriate medical attention as well. If the child dies anyway, well, it's sad but they did their best (and they'll probably sue the doctors). But just praying while your child dies is reprehensible (especially if this is the one where the girl died of diabetes - an illness that responds well to appropriate treatment). There have been many legal cases on this, some to get the parents to have the child treated, and some to charge parents who didn't. The law is clear - you have to get appropriate medical care for a child who needs it.

As a mother myself, I cannot imagine not getting my daughter to a hospital if she was sick or injured.

If she died in the hands of the doctor that means at least her parents tried. You know you go to the hospital to try and get healed but there are no guarantees. I cannot fathom a parent denying a treatment for their child who is suffering from a deadly disease. Who does that? They chose their religious beliefs over their daughter's life.

That is what bothers me about religions, they think praying to their god or gods would work. It doesn't. If it did, wouldn't AIDS had already be eradicated? The parents were so blinded by their religious beliefs that they didn't give their daughter a chance. A CHANCE. That's all that doctors can assure you in cases like this.

What if the girl had lived? What if she had died anyways? Honestly, we don't know and whose fault is that? The parents and that's why they're being charged.

Praying is the same as doing nothing. So how were they trying? They let their daughter die.

Source(s): atheist

At least the doctors could have done something to prolong her life. I have to say that as a parent I cannot imagine ever thinking that just simply praying or doing a spell might save my child. I would only go that route if I had already exhausted every possible physician, specialist, and acupuncture (I use acupunctures in addition to western medicine) and there was absolute no hope. If they are being charged then it must be because the doctors could have saved the child.

I think that as long as it is proven that the child could have been saved then the parents should be charged.

Source(s): tameran wiccan

The girl died a needless death all because her parents refused to have her checked. She died of diabetes whihc is easily treated. The doctors could do nothing to save her as the diabetes had avdavanced to a point where it was almost impossible to traet. Blame the parents not the doctors. There was a second occurance of this where the girl died of pneumonia which is easily treated. The parents refused her medical care until it was too late. BLAME THE PARENTS.

The parents refused their child medical care until it was too late for any doctor to be able to do anything. The parents are rightfully going to jail.

Source(s): I have diabetes and know how to treat it.
  • Bill

They aren't being charged with murder but with child abuse.

I think they should be convicted. It isn't (and shouldn't be) a crime for a doctor or anyone else to try to save a life but fail. But it is a crime (and should be) to neglect to help a child for whom you are responsible when that help is badly needed. Refusing to get life-saving medical treatment for your child is just as bad as not feeding him or her, and such a thing should be punished regardless of religious beliefs.

For obvious reasons, "I was doing what I thought was right" is not a defense to criminal behavior. No matter what your religious beliefs are, you have no right to harm others or to negligently allow harm to come to a minor if you are the minor's guardian.

Had the child died in the hands of the doctors, you are correct, they wouldn't have been charged. But that's because they utilized the utmost of medical science to save this child's life, but even that wasn't enough. BUT AT LEAST THEY TRIED.

The parents did absolutely nothing. They FORCED their child to die, to suffer a miserable life filled with pain, all because of their stupid religion. Had that child received medical attention, she might have survived--our medical science absolutely trumps prayer.

Those failures of parents deserve to go to jail. They chose religion over the life of their own child? What an atrocity.

Parents have the responsibility to do everything possible to see to the health and safety of their children, by not taking their child to a medical professional they are guilty of criminal neglect. Going to a doctor is not against the Christian faith.

They gambled with the life of their own child. I would say they are responsible for her death by negligence. Whether she would have lived or not, her chances of surviving would have been much greater had they sought medical attention for her. Honestly, I don't think stupidity is an excuse for child neglect. Especially that which results in death.

If a parent fails to get treatment for a child with an easily treated illness, and that child dies as a result, then, in my opinion, the parent is guilty of negligent homicide.

End of.