People who speak fluent Spanish...does this make sense to you?

I have Celiac disease, and I can't eat gluten (Wheat, barley, rye) and I was searching for something that explains my condition in Spanish so that I can take it to a Mexican restaurant and there not be any problems due to the language barrier.

All I know is what this is about, I have no idea what it actually says..

Can someone tell me if it makes sense..if it's precise?

http://www.celiactravel.com/gluten-free-cards/34-s...

Thank you! :D

..Or can someone translate it or something and tell me EXACTLY what it says??

Thanks!

• Profuy
    Best Answer

I read the cards and it does make sense. Any one who speaks Spanish will understand you. However, I'm not sure if the message is forceful enough.

Maybe you could change the layout and the wording to make it really strong. So, this is what I suggest:

1st paragraph: OK

2nd paragraph:

Me podria enfermar seriamente y NO PUEDO COMER:

- alimentos con harina o granos de trigo

- centeno

- cebada

- avena

3rd paragraph: OK

4th paragraph

Puedo comer (si NO estan preparados con harina de trigo, rebozo, pan rallado o salsa)

- arroz

- maiz

- papas

- todo tipo de fruta y verdura

- huevos

- queso

- leche

- carne

- pescado

Checklists tend to be easier to read and understand.

Source(s): Profuy

The first paragraph says:

I have a sickness called Celiac disease and I need to follow a strict/rigorous diet that is gluten-free.

The second paragraph says:

If I eat certain foods that contain flour or grains of wheat, I will become very sick.

The third paragraph says:

Does your food have any flour or grains of wheat in it? (This you would ask about a certain item on their menu) If you have any doubt about the contents of the food, please tell me.

The fourth paragraph says:

(Fix the first part of this paragraph -- it should say "puedO comer" instead of "puedE comer") I can eat food that contains rice, corn, potatoes, all types of vegetables and fruits, eggs, cheese, milk, meat, and fish -- provided that/as long as they haven't been prepared with wheat flour, (at this point, remove the word rebozo - it means "hidden" and is not really necessary. Also, if your diet is very strict, you should change "preparados con harina de trigo" to "preparados con ningun trigo", changing it from "prepared with very little wheat flour" to "prepared with absolutely no wheat flour") bread crumbs, or salsa. No salsa, please.

For the very last part of the fourth paragraph talking about salsa, if your diet is not very strict and you usually can eat salsa, you shouldn't bother about this last part. They probably will not know if their salsa has gluten in it, and whether it does or not varies for each restaurant. It is also hard to eat at a Mexican restaurant without having salsa in your food.

The last sentence at the bottom says:

Thank you very much for your help.

The grammar overall is solid, and they use a very formal and precise manner of speech. Anyone fluent in Spanish should have no trouble understanding this. There are only a few small errors which I have indicated above. I hope this helps :3

" I have an illness that is called Celiac disease and I need to continue a rigorous diet free of gluten. As consequence, it would make me very sick in the case I were to eat food that contained flours or grains of wheat, rye, barley, or oat.

Does this food contain flours or garins of wheat, rye, barley, or oat? If you have some doubt about the food, please tell me. I can eat food that contains rice, corn, potato, all kinds of greens and fruit, eggs, cheese, milk, meat and fish- provided none have been prepared with wheat flour, bread grated, or with sauces. Without sauce, please. Many thanks for your help.

Source(s): High school spanish.

This is what you have to tell them:

Soy celiaca y tengo intolerancia al gluten, quiero comida que no contenga gluten.

So, the point is that they will understand the language but if they are not familiar with the "medical language" that it's not gonna help you. Before ordering go and see the store manager and tell him exactly what I wrote for you.

I don't, but you can download free restaurant cards with this information in most languages, definitely Spanish, here:

http://www.celiactravel.com/restaurant-cards.html

• Elvis

I think it's specific enough for anyone to understand...

If you want, you can say after that person finishes reading the card:

¿Sí lo entendió bien? No puedo comer NADA que contenga Harina, trigo, cebada o centeno... o tendré problemas con mi salud!

To REALLY remark the message...

maybe even exaggerate a bit and say:

¿Sí lo entendió bien? No puedo comer NADA que contenga Harina, trigo, cebada o centeno... o me puedo morir!!!

(did you get it right? I can't eat ANYTHING containing floor, wheat, etc etc or I could DIE!)

Source(s): I'm a native spanish speaker

The message makes sense but its not very insightful, not too detailed. Having said that im no expert.

• Ben

It's understandable pretty much, but it's too long they won't even listen to you trust me,

like the 4th paragraph is totally not even necessary, it just makes it look like you think they're stupid.

If ya want me to help you rewrite it, e-mail me (:

thats perfect, it explains everything and tells them to be careful

Source(s): NATIVE spanish speaker :D