Why do Creationists confuse evolution with creation?

They keep denying the scientific facts of evolution (how life changed over time) by trying to force how life began into its definition.

Update:

One Brave Mouse: "We confuse it because science confuses it. Evolution, at lest up into the 12 grade level is a term used to include cosmology, Abiogenesis, and Evolution. Even on this forum I daily see non-christians referring to Planetary origins as evolution."

I have never seen this. Were you home schooled?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

The root of the problem is a desire to reinforce Biblical inerrancy by insisting on a strictly literal interpretation of scripture.

For example, in 1633, Galileo was found guilty of heresy because he dared to assert that the Earth moved around a central Sun. The case against him was based on these scriptures:

1Chronicles 16:30, Psalm 93:1, Psalm 96:10, Psalm 104:5, Ecclesiastes 1:5, Joshua 10:12-13, and Isaiah 40:22.

Of course, these days we all know that Galileo was correct, the Inquisition was wrong, and everybody interprets those scriptures allegorically. The reason the Inquisition was wrong is because they insisted that Biblical inerrancy was absolute, even if it contradicted the observed behavior of God's other perfect creation, the universe we humans occupy.

History is repeating itself. These days we are besieged by Evangelical fundamentalists who are so fixated on Biblical inerrancy that they insist evolution is impossible, despite massive evidence that it is not only possible, but is the central organizing principle of biology. The result has been that millions of people have been driven away from Christianity because it has become necessary to check your brains at the door when entering a church. The explosion of atheism this century and the emerging war on Christianity is a direct result of Evangelicals being unable to accept that, if the Bible is to remain a timeless truth, it must be interpreted in a way that is consistent with mankind's current understanding of the universe we occupy. Evolution is an incontrovertible fact and relentlessly insisting otherwise, for the sake of a simple-minded literal interpretation of Genesis, is destroying Christianity.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

We confuse it because science confuses it. Evolution, at lest up into the 12 grade level is a term used to include cosmology, Abiogenesis, and Evolution. Even on this forum I daily see non-christians referring to Planetary origins as evolution.

• Mariel
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

They are confused.

Some may fear that science will contradict their faith, which is not the purpose of science. Evolution is all part of God's awesome creative process. They are more comfortable imagining God to be a magician.

As Thomas Paine once said: "It is error only, and never truth that shrinks from inquiry."

Check out this site to see how science and religion work together:

www.songofgenesis.org

• I don't know but I recommend not saying such generic statements as "they keep denying" because not everyone does that who might be a creationist. However, I suspect your question is somewhat rhetorical anyway since you already proposed your personal viewpoint about how people who believe the universe was created by some being (whatever that means) keep denying scientific facts etc.

Personally, I don't know.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Debating most creationists on the topic of evolution is rather like trying to play chess with a pigeon. it knocks the pieces over, craps on the board, and flies back to its flock to claim victory

• 1 decade ago

It's a red herring. Less than 5% of Christians are Creationists.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because they're still miffed that their creation myth got debunked more than 100 years ago. They think they can "bring everyone to Jesus" if they somehow "turn the tables" on evolutionary teaching. Won't happen.

• 1 decade ago

They think the version of evolution they hear in church is the scientific one - it isn't.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They need the Bible to be true. So they cannot accept the facts.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

abiogenesis is six syllables and their maximum is four.

that is why when they try to use words with more than four syllables, creationists end up making up words and you'll see things that make you scratch your head like "evolutionist"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.