? asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

Can I eat before taking that glucose test? Or do I have to fast?

I have an appointment in 2 hours, but I always eat breakfast by now, so I'm hungry. Can I eat a banana? Or do I have to wait until after I take the test?

Favorite Answer

I have my glucose testing at the end of this month, so my doctor went over everything with me at my last appointment a few days ago. She said that I don't have to fast and the way she worded it was, "You used to have to fast beforehand, back in the day when I had my kids, but you don't have to do that anymore!" So I would assume it's the same for every doctor these days. She said they would give me a sugary drink, make me wait an hour and then take my blood.

-EDIT- But everyone else is telling you to fast LOL So I would call the office and ask them.

dingi - I even have very specific WRITTEN instructions from the office that say I do NOT have to fast and should eat just like normal before the testing.

Source(s): ~23 weeks pregnant with baby #1~

I'm a diabetic and I disagree that you flubbed the results. If someone isn't diabetic their blood sugars don't fluctuate that wildly. It might add like 10 points to your blood sugar in one hour, maybe. If you're having trouble tolerating sugars (and that means carbohydrates, which a chicken biscuit has plenty in both the biscuit and the breading) then it will show up on the test. If you can tolerate them well, you will still get a normal result. You only get high blood sugars if you have insulin resistance. If you don't have it, you could eat a full breakfast and still pass the test, or only be slightly over. Some doctors don't require you to fast before the 1 hours test.

I wouldnt eat anything..it can effect the results of the test....dont want another thing to worry about especially if theres a chance the results may be due to what you had ate before the appointment.!

• You have to fast... i know it sucks... sorry!

I have had 3 tests with this pregnancy... 1 hr 3 hr and a different kind where i had to fast, eat after they took my blood and have blood drawn again 2 hrs later... before the 1 and 3 hr the paperwork said fasting.

• Vida

You were not given instructions in advance from either the lab or your Dr's office? If you are unsure, play it safe, and call the lab. I've had the test years ago. Back then you had to fast. That may not be so for today. Call the lab.

It is a fasting test, you shouldn't eat or drink anything after midnight for it.

If you drank something (like juice or anything aside from plain water) then you may want to think about re-scheduling...it will spike your levels and throw the test off.

Good luck!!

You have to fast and it taste gross just a heads up not too many people can take it so they keep you their after you drink the drink they provide for the purpose of monitoring you to make sure you do not throw up because if you do you will have to reschedule yes it sucks but it's all apart of pregnancy it will all be over soon! Congrats-

If it's the one hour test, then yes, you can eat. If you fail this one, then you'll have to do a 3 hour test and you'll have to fast for that one...or at least I had to, but they told me for the one hour test to just eat normal.

• as per instructions of test, you have to fast for atleast 2 hours before the test. I believe you should not eat anything. Wait until test is done.

For Ariane, I believe your doctor should not have said. Please verify what you understood. It violates basic necessity of the test.

Edit: Okay Ariana. I tried to search on internet, it says same about fasting. Though Doctor is subject expert and so follow what s/he say in your case. Good luck.

• arm

No! You can't eat anything. You have to fast. If you don't the test won't be accurate and they will just make you reschedule and do it again.