Why are atheist marriages considered "marriages" and not "civil unions"? I'm asking because....?

People who are against Gay Marriage often say that they don't have a problem with homosexuals having "civil unions", but that MARRIAGE is of God and the Church, and since the Bible forbids homosexuality, the "marriage" wouldn't be recognized in God's eyes. They also state that... show more People who are against Gay Marriage often say that they don't have a problem with homosexuals having "civil unions", but that MARRIAGE is of God and the Church, and since the Bible forbids homosexuality, the "marriage" wouldn't be recognized in God's eyes. They also state that it's the Church's right to refuse to recognize "gay marriage".

That being said, shouldn't atheist marriages also be considered "civil unions"? Strange, because I'm pretty sure that when I married my ex-husband, it was considered a "marriage" and not a "civil union", even though we don't believe God or the Church.