switching 360 hard drive..bad idea?

so i was considering buying a 120 gb hard drive taking it apart and switching the actual memory unit with my 20 gb. in other words putting the 120 in the 20 casing and the 20 in the 120 casing and then returning the 120 casing to the store. any one think this is bad idea

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

um, yes - this is probably possible...and YES this is a bad idea...

you're trying to steal 100 gbs of memory. . . . .

• 1 decade ago

You're stealing from a store by getting money/credit back from an item that they can no longer re-sell or get their cost back from when you return crap like that. Return policies are for people that legitimately have a problem with something, not an open invitation to take what you want. That's pretty greedy.

Not to mention... yeah, it's possible to swap a HDD inside the casing but you have to have the new HDD flashed with the specific system files, which either means you're going to invest a bunch of time trying to find the right programs, etc on your pc to do it AND buy the cable for it (meaning, more money), OR you're going to spend a bunch of money to send it to someone so that they can flash it.

Instead why don't you either A) buy a genuine xbox 120gb HDD off of ebay (I just bought my second brand new Xbox Starter kit for $60) or just buy an empty HDD case for like 6 bucks and THEN spend the extra cash it's going to cost to get that specific harddrive and cabling.

Source(s): Retail. I work there. And have for a very very long time sad to say.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I dont think you can even return an xbox hardrive. Besides i dont think that the 120gb hard drive would fit into the 20gb hard drive casing. If it did why not just make the xbox come with a 120gb hard drive in the first place. But if you find out you can return hard drives and it does fit then go ahead great idea, but one other thing. If something happens to your hardrive, you cant send it in or anything to get it fixed because they will know you tampered with it.

Source(s): Knowledge
  • 1 decade ago

Don't stores or wherever you got it check the system. I mean isn't there a way to pull up the remaining amount of memory.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

If you're good enough with electronics you can try it but if you don't put the 120gb back together cleanly they will know you tried

• 1 decade ago

If it works then why not? GO FOR IT!

• 1 decade ago

yes you can.... it not bad idea trust me... can i have 5 stars :D plssss

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.