i want a accurate bolt rifle for the range. i dont hunt. already have a 10/22. looking for .308 or 300 win mag?

like i said i want something sub MOA at 100 yards.the place i shoot at only goes out to 100 yards and im sure the farthest ill ever shoot would be 250 yards so keep that in mind. looking at remington 700's but i just want other options. i hate the look of the savages. reccomend caliber, scope, stock, any little bit helps. thanks. no ar-15 style recomendations please, i already own a ak-47 so i am looking for a tactical range rifle.

ok so .300 win mag is probably out. i like the .308. as far as scopes i would spend up to 200 on a scope assuming i dont spend over 700 on the rifle. i want mil dot if possible and want at least 10 power and adjustable would be nice.

what type of 7mm are you talking about? not very familiar with that round?

i found a sako trg-22 in .308 caliber. its basically what im looking for. any idea on price. also i liked the cheytac in the .308 caliber. i would be willing to spend the money if they are the best.

i really liked the weatherby vanguard varmiter. price is a little higher than i wanted to go, but looks like it could be worth it.

• Chris
    Best Answer

I'd suggest the .308 Winchester or .30-06 Springfield at the most. The .222, .223 Remington, .243, .25-06 Win., 6mm, .260, 7mm-08 Rem. are great choices as well.

The Howa, Weatherby Vanguard, Savage 10/110, Remington Model 700(NOT the 710 or 770), Winchester Model 70, Ruger Model 77 and SAKO in their various varmint or target variations sometimes even pretty good in the standard versions) are all great choices for a rifle to be used for informal target shooting. Most of the time match grade factory ammunition will produce 5 shot groups of around 1 MOA or less in these. Sometimes much less I've seen people using .223 and .243 Savage, Remington and Ruger rifle that can hit but individual rifles with vary so handloading ammunition to find a really optimal load for your rifle is quite useful. Besides that it does save you a ton of money in the long term to reload for your rifle even though it'll cost around $150-250 to get the basic gear to start properly.

The TRG-22 is probably going to be well out of your price range. The prices on those seem to be around $2,500-3,000.

A decent scope for the kind of use you are talking about will be around $200-300 for a fixed 8,10 or 12 power model and good variables start there and go up. Definitely checked the used scopes at the local shops. Along with other brands you can sometimes find nice Weaver, Leupold & Redfield scopes for far less then the new ones will cost and if they haven't been abused they are still excellent choices.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumbe...

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku...

two good fixed power options there

a few pretty nice variables for decent prices. It's definitely more then you are wanting to pay but they are worth it.

If you really want a good set up don't forget to get high quality scope rings& bases.

In summary you can get a setup that LOOKS "tactical" for under grand. If you really want a rig that shoots well, not just one that looks cool to the rest of the mall ninjas you'll need to spend a lot more.

Oh and of course you'll have to spend a good couple of years learning to shoot properly. Unless you can shoot decently from prone, sitting and offhand, the fact that you can settle the rifle into sandbags and it will hit a penny at 100yards doesn't mean a thing. Someone who can always hit a clay pigeon offhand at 200 yards or from prone at 300 with no support other then a sling has to be more skilled.

300 Win Mag isn't going to be a cartridge you want to fire often enough to be proficient with, just a lot of recoil and blast for little gain, and the belted magnums,since they head-space off the belt instead of the shoulder "can" be less accurate in the long run. 308 based cartridges are normally given the edge in repeatable,consistent accuracy over long action cartridges like the belted mags and 30-06 because of the powder column/load densities with the given cartridge shapes. The 223,22-250,243,260,7mm-08,6.5 -284 and 308 fit your parameters

223 is more economical to shoot than most other centerfire cartridges.22-250 is a very fast cartridge and has a reputation for burning out barrels quickly,same with the 6.5-284. The 260 and 7mm-08 have some of the best bullet selections for Ballistic Coefficients and sectional densities-long/slender bullets as compared to a 308,where 168 to 180 grain is near max weight because of Cartridge Overall Length (COL) and powder load compaction.

The Remington 700 does have merit, but I would get a CZ 550 in 260 or 7mm-08 if I were shooting for target only; and like the Remington, you can get it in Varmint Specific trim, which is what you would want for target shooting. A Sako 85 would also be a very fine choice. The CZ also come in a small bore rifle, the 527 for 223,22-250,204. CZ is a world class rifle,as is the Sako.

I have Browning A-Bolts, which are fine for accuracy but aren't normally what people use for target specific shooting. I bring this up because I handload for my rifles and have gone from having near 2 inch 3 shot groups to 5 shots I can cover with a quarter (100 yard range) in 30-06. So, handloading will improve your groups faster than any other avenue.

Source(s): My server isn't calling up the CZ home page right now, but it is worth the look. The CZ Page is being updated!!!! EDIT: 260 and 7m-08 are both necked down 308, and again,308 with 165 or 168 grain Match grade bullets would be great too. At ranges less than 300 yards the Mil-Dot or Bullet Drop Compensation scopes won't even come into play, just not enough variance. Since I'm set up for hunting deer and elk more so than targets, I have a 200 yard ZERO and my 3x9 50mm scope is near perfect for that. At $200, I like the Nikon Pro Staff 3x9 50mm with the Niko-plex reticle, and the Leupold VX-I 3x9 40mm for about $250 (retail each),but if you look on line you can find some better Monarch or VX-II on sale. To take advantage of a Mil-Dot or BDC scope you are out past 300 yards for range--and you would really want to spend more on a scope. Anything over 300 yards and your optics need to be up to the task.

How much are you spending? Did you see the Savage Model 25 and 25Thumbhole (.223)? I'd say that was way more accurate than my Winchester Model 70. .223 is cheap and easy to find, not the best cartridge for 700yards but will do great at 200-500yards. I think the Savage 25 is beautiful and comfortable. Leaper optics and CenterPoint Optics are great. I'm eyeing the 4-16x40 power dual illuminated mil-dot from CenterPoint. .223 or .308 is the way to go.

This isn't tactical, but look in to a Weatherby Vangaurd SUB-MOA or a Weatherby Vanguard. Out of those choices I would pick the .300 win mag. For scope you aren't saying what your money limit is, but try Tasco World Class, Leupold, Bushnell, Simmons, or Nikon. Measurements 3x9x40mm, 3x9x44mm, 4-12x50mm.

If you aren't a fan of the Savage line of rifles, (even though they are quite accurate and budget priced) then I would also recommend the CZ line of rifles. I have both, and think highly of both. CZ makes very accurate and well built firearms.

7mm-08 in the Thompson Center Icon.

remington 700 is a good choice. have you looked into a Mosin 91/30 or a m38 or m44. these are 7.62x54 (in the .308 .30-06 range). You can pick one up for around $100 or so. They were the basis for the russian sniper rifle during WWII.