Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 1 decade ago

How do I decorate a full house for a reasonable price?

Me and my partner are just in the process of buying a house, all the work that needs doing is cosmetic but we need everything from a sofa to a dining table, toilet rolls holders to a kettle?

Anyone know of any cheap places or cheaper ways of doing it? (UK please)

Favorite Answer

The best advise I can give you is to spend good money on a bed and a sofa. All the rest can be had at a huge savings.

First, only bring things into your home if you were willing to pay full price for it to begin with, not only because it is a bargain. This way, you will certainly avoid the mistake of ending up with a bunch of stuff that really is not want you wanted in the first place.

Shop flea markets, consignment shops and places where second hand items are sold. You can find curtains, fabrics, housewares, furniture and all. Thrift stores are a great place to pick up anything you need. Remember, just look at the lines of the furniture because you can paint and refinish just about anything. I have bought sinfully ugly lamps just for their form. Then, I spray painted them with great results. Spray paints are available in metal and metallic finishes of all colors and textures. Love that chest of drawers, but the handles and knobs are dreadful? Spray paint the hardware. Faux finish the top to make it look like marble if you wish. You have to be resourceful and use your imagination and get some talent going. So, that dining room table at a bargain price needs the top refinished? Buy it and put a table cloth on it until you get around to refinishing it or just paint the top and keep the legs wood. Cannot afford a whole set of dining chairs? Just buy single chairs here and there and unite them all by painting them all the same color.

I know you will be busy with the cosmetic work on the new house, but if you can find the time to take an upholstery class, it will be well worth your efforts. There are so many wayward chairs waiting for you to give them a new life.

Ask friends if they have any spare furniture in their basements, attics and garages. Everyone has something they can give away.

I hope my ideas have inspired your creativity and sparked some inspiration. Good luck to you in your new home.

This is not an either/or situation, which is what it sounds like you're making it. Step back and look at what your priorities are. House hunting can be incredibly hard and can take a long time, which is why patience is needed. However, from what you've written here, it sounds like a house and the dream that goes with it is more important than a marriage. I truly don't understand why you can't plan a wedding before you get a house--even if you have to rent for a little bit after you get married, it'll all fall into place. Instead of pigeonholing yourself, look a little bit outside of the area you want and offer what you CAN afford. Your focus seems to be all about the house and I feel like your priority is there and that marriage isn't all that important, so I would really think about where your priorities truly are before you do either.

go to a auction house bit low ,don't be first to bid. to keep your hand down to last min. watch the front row that where the dealers sit thy bring the price up