Trailer lights will Not work. For some reason the trailer frame is not grounded.?

I've drilled a new hole and attached a new ground wire to that. Even a test light won't ground using the trailer frame as a grounding point. The truck lights are working.....ideas? Please.

Update:

im bypassing the pigtail right now. Im using a test light, attaching its aligator clip to the ground point of the trailer and i get nothing but when i attach the aligator clip to a ground point on the tow vehicle i have light. So whats the deal. The ground point is clean, new hole, new bolt

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You didn't say where you attached the ground wire?

The best way is to run it into the trailer plug, and from the car's socket, ground that to its frame.

If you are talking about a "new hole" in the trailer frame, but there is no grounding wire in the plug and socket, you would be relying on the hitch making contact with the tow ball. And that is notoriously unreliable!

The grounding should be via the connecting cable, bypassing the hitch and ball.

• 4 years ago

while the trailer lighting fixtures do strange issues then it relatively is totally practically continually the floor. the main suitable way is to run the floor (white) cord to each and each gentle. i comprehend it takes a splash cord & time yet relatively worth it!

• 1 decade ago

make sure its metal to metal and not metal to paint. scrap the paint off so the bolt is directly touching the metal. Good luck

• 1 decade ago

make sure the 4-plug is good, i've seen a few that hang down and the wires will break. good luck (i hope you checked your bulbs too)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.