Erythromycin eye ointment mandatory for newborns?

Within hours of birth infants are given erythromycin eye ointment to prevent blindness in the case the mother has gonorrhea. This ointment is administered regardless if the mother has tested positive or negative for gonorrhea. If the mother refuses this treatment, the hospital is to call DCFS. I find this very... show more Within hours of birth infants are given erythromycin eye ointment to prevent blindness in the case the mother has gonorrhea. This ointment is administered regardless if the mother has tested positive or negative for gonorrhea. If the mother refuses this treatment, the hospital is to call DCFS.
I find this very absurd. I hate the fact that some 'law' is forcing unnecessary treatment onto my newborn child.
Does anyone have any more info on this? I live in Illinois, I guess it is possible this is just a statewide law.

I was given this information by a midwife.