Victoria asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

Is owning a red fox legal?

I really was hoping to get a red fox kit after I graduate college, but I don't know if it's legal or not. Would laws applying to this vary from state to state?

Favorite Answer

If you buy from a fur farm you can get one IF your local ordinances say it's ok, and you need to check with the DNR in your state (Dept. of Natural Resources) to see if you need a permit for one.

Taking one out of the environment is only ok if you're a wildlife rehabber taking care of an injured fox, with expectations of releasing it again once it's recuperated.

Hmm.... I don't have proof of it, but I believe the law there requires you to get the permit that needs you to have 2-years of experience with the animal before hand, and the other two permits are pretty easy to get. After that, then they're legal, but it takes a long time to get all those permits. For any questions you could probably find you local DNR or Fish&Game's number on the internet, and then ask them - they control who gets permits or not, and they know what their own laws are. Hah. Sorry if I wasn't very helpful, and good luck!

• amy

Yes laws vary greatly not only from state to state, but county to county, township to township and city to city. At least 23 states ban them, 16 require a license, and 1 allows up to 6 either wild caught or captive born.

Yes states like Missouri,Montana,Nebraska,Nevada,New Hampshire,New Mexico,North Carolina,North Dakota,Ohio,Oklahoma,Oregon,Rhode Island,South Carolina,South Dakota,Tennessee,Texas,Vermont,Virginia,Washington,West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming. Don't have as strict laws others do. Red foxes cost around 600-800 dollars

It is not legal to own any wild game unless you have a permit from the state. Plus they carry rabies.

Hope this helps.

maybe