Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Does anyone feel the Supreme Court decision in Ricci v. DeStefano was a victory for the civil rights movement?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Civil Rights movement was aimed to remove race from any part of the decision making process, thus allowing the best people to compete for the best job. The city of New Haven and its administration felt that race was a more important factor in selecting leadership in the firefighter ranks than actual experience and intelligence, which is a mockery of the Civil Rights movement.

By the way, New Haven administered the exam after it was deemed "racially neutral." However, New Haven itself exposed itself to be racially driven instead of neutral, unlike the test they gave to the firefighters up for promotion. Personally, I want the best person on call to save lives, regardless of the color of his or her skin. Something tells me that just about everyone else would agree with me on that one as well.

The Supreme Court ruling, which ended 5-4, ran down ideological lines, where the liberal justices felt race was a better qualifier than personal expertise. Remember that Sotomayor sided with New Haven and was unwilling to give a published reason behind their finding (she was part of a 3 judge panel who ruled in favor of the city over the firefighters).

The Civil Rights movement was designed to promote people and allow for equal standing DESPITE race, NOT because of it. That has been forgotten by many people, mostly those who preach civil rights yet do not understand what civil rights truly means.

• 4 years ago

And why do you ask this??? you're questioning why each and all the non secular wing-nuts are pissedoff at Roe v Wade? relatively - Roe v Wade honestly galvanized the main wonderful wing. I undergo in innovations nicely while it got here into existence interior the early 1970's. all rapidly each and all the weirdo church homes have been given their backs up - began preaching the politics none give up - and interior of many years they had scared up adequate help to place a 0 like Reagan into the White domicile. in case you choose for the historic previous of the modern-day right wing mess ups - they began with Roe v Wade - it relatively is the regulation that the main wonderful wing on no account ought to touch.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It was a victory for common sense.

Does anybody complain about the best players being on the field in the NFL and the need for fair proportianal representation in regard to the race of the players?

It is time for the whiners to STFU. They know who they are.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's definately a victory for individual rights and for judging people on ability rather than race.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It was a victory for the oppressed white man.

• 1 decade ago

Yes. It proves that race shouldn't be the determining factor on who gets or doesn't get a promotion.

• 1 decade ago

Yes.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I think it was a step away from treating race with kid gloves.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

was the test relative to the job?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

just more of the man tryin to keep a brother down wit all dat studyin an shi*

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.