Sincerely asking: Can one be a Muslim and not follow all the rules of Islam? (details)?

I'm sorry if this seems a stupid question, but here's why I ask: In Christianity, one need not follow all the rules to be a Christian. Indeed, for many, all they do is accept Christ as their savior and never give their beliefs a second thought. That's both accepted and rejected, depending on where... show more I'm sorry if this seems a stupid question, but here's why I ask:

In Christianity, one need not follow all the rules to be a Christian. Indeed, for many, all they do is accept Christ as their savior and never give their beliefs a second thought. That's both accepted and rejected, depending on where you stand.

As for Jews, not all keep kosher, and some even celebrate Christmas. Why not? It's a fun time for all, and where's the harm if you only celebrate the secular aspects? Heck, some Christians even display the Jewish menorah -- maybe the family is of blended faiths, or maybe they just want to show solidarity to their Jewish friends. No harm there, either.

So, what I'm wondering is -- In Islam, can one simply declare faith in Allah, follow the teachings of Mohammed, say, "I'm a Muslim," and be done with it? Or is one required to follow the rules at all times?

Please, be respectful. We all have our opinions concerning the extremists in any belief, but that's not why I'm asking. There was a question earlier about a girl who converted to Islam, but felt she'd never find a Muslim man to marry her because she lost her virginity before her conversion. So, I've been wondering.

As always, thanks in advance, and no thumbs down from me.
Update: Just a Christian ... flawed? I don't believe so. I'm simply passing along what I have observed in 30 years of living in the same town. You get to know the people, how they behave, what they believe.

What I've stated is true for my area.
Update 2: ((((((Sufi)))))

Yay! You finally answered one of my questions!

=)