Any recommendations for good vampire novels/series that are NOT romance or young adult?

I'm looking for some good vampire stand alone novels, or series, that are aimed at adults and are not cheesey romance. I don't mind a romantic theme, but I'm looking for books that have a lot more interesting plots than that, and that lean much more toward actual horror.

I'm not looking for young adult stuff like Twilight, Vampire Kisses, Vampire Diaries, etc.

I'm not looking for paranormal romance, like Anita Blake, etc.

It seems like all the websites that list vampire books are made by women who are only interested in paranormal romance stuff, and although I am a chick, that is not what I'm looking for.

Below is a list of books I have already read that I enjoyed. Does anyone have any more recommendations for me?

The Night Inside and Terrible Beauty by Nancy Baker

Bottomfeeder by B.H. Fingerman

Those Who Hunt the Night and Traveling with the Dead by Barbara Hambly

After Dark by Carol Haytko

Lord of the Dead and Slave to My Thirst by Tom Holland

Salem's Lot by Stephen King

Bite by Richard Laymon

The Joe Pitt series by Charlie Huston

Dracula Asylum by Paul Whitcover

Let Me In by John Lindqvist

Fiend, Wounds and Voice of the Blood by Jemiah Jefferson

Eternal Vigilence by Gabrielle Faust

The Paris Immortal series by Sherry Roit

The Vampire Within series by Drew Silver

Dracul by James Wardlaw

Vampire Zero/99 Coffins/13 Bullets, etc. by David Wellington

Tap, Tap by David Martin

Bitternest by Alan Draven

Parasite Positive by Scott Westerfeld

Volenna by Sam Dennis

The Strain by Guillermo del Toro & Chuck Hogan

Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris

Blood Legacy series by Kerri Hawkins

After Dark by Carol Haytko

30 Days of Night series by Steve Niles

Raven by S.A. Swiniarski

Pretty When She Dies by Rhiannon Frater

Thanks so far guys! I've read a few Anne Rice ones, but can't seem to get into them for some reason. I couldn't even finish The Vampire Armand, it bored me to death. :)

I'll have to give the Tanya Huff Blood Books a try. :)

Best Answer

As others have already said, Anne Rice's novels are spectacular in that regard.

The original Dracula by Bram Stoker has a teensy bit of romance, but nothing huge. I highly suggest this as well.

Blood Price by Tanya Huff

Curse Of The Vampire by Geoffrey Caine

Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite

Definitely Anne Rice, I'd believe. Although, I'm not sure if she counts as Young Adult. There's no sex in them, as far as I recall, but they are beautifully written dark pieces. "Interview With A Vampire" is the first in her series, although the main character's viewpoint starts afterwords, with "The Vampire Lestat".

Also, I recommend Tanya Huff's vampire books. Also very nicely written, they do have some vague sex scenes, if I can stretch my mind back to when I read them. Her books begin with the word Blood, "Blood Ties" being one of them.

But, besides those, I haven't read anything that seems to specifically fall under the category "Adult". Hope it helps!

Ann Rice, the Vampire Lestat Series.

• Marti

I agree with the Tanya Huff and dracula suggestions. There is also I Am Legend, by Matheson, and Christopher Golden has some good ones.

Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist.

A movie based on it was released last winter and is on DVD (Swedish with English subtitles).

Oh nevermind. You listed that one as Let Me In. Sorry.