Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

What are some children's classics to read?

I am 13 years old and I have been more interested in "classic" books lately. I want to READ books like Alice in Wonderland or Peter Pan, not just watch the movies. what are some book you would consider "classics"? I have already read the whole Wizard of Oz series. Thanks!

UGH!! There are way too many amazing answers. I am going to have a very difficult time choosing a best answer. (Please help!! lol, but also please don't "thumbs down" everyone else but your own's [does that make sense?])

• Kelley
    Favorite Answer

The Secret Garden and The Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

5 Children and It and The Enchanted Castle by Edith Nesbit

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

The Wheel on the School by Meindert De Jong

The Twenty-One Balloons by William Pene duBois

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Graham

Strawberry Girl by Lois Lenski

The Borrowers by Mary Norton

Heidi by Johanna Spyri

Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Your librarian can help you find many others. Another option is to check with your local school system. They usually have a suggested or required reading list for high school (some for elementary and middle school also) that includes a great deal of older classics as well as some of the newer classics that you might want to check out.

Hans Andersen's fairy tales, The Secret Garden, A Little Princess, Black Beauty, The Water Babies, Treasure Island, The Arabian Nights, Heidi, White Fang, The Call of the Wild, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Bambi, Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, Pippi Longstocking, Little Women, The Wind in the Willows, Anne of Green Gables, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Hobbit and LOTR

I'll add any more if I think of them :)

You should definitely ask a librarian, but some classic children's literature would include: The Tale of Peter Rabbit (or any of Beatrix Potter's works); the Laura Ingalls Wilder books (Little House on the Prairie); Hans Christian Anderson's tales as well as the original versions of Grimm's Fairy Tales; Heidi by Johanna Spyri, The Secret Garden by Frances H. Burnett; Charles Perrault's fairy tales, such as Cinderella and Puss in Boots; and CS Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia.

Edit: Foxwit, Sherlock Holmes is great, but those stories were not written for children. Ditto anything by Edgar Allen Poe.

The secret garden is a great book. If you like Alice in wonderland, try reading Through the looking glass of the same author. Animal farm is a really nice book. So is Dr.jekyll and Mr.hyde. I have also read the story of dr. doolittle and journey to the center of the earth. The time machine by H.G wells is also good. Hope this helps!!!!

The Secret Garden, The Railway Children, Heidi, Little Women...

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Jack London books (such as Call of the Wild, for example). Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tales are great, but not so much Grimm's fairy tales (as they are indeed grim!) Harry Potter books are destined to be classics, if they don't count already. Tolkien trilogy, plus The Hobbit, ditto. And my all time favourite: AA Milne books of Winnie the Pooh and Christopher Robin. Don't forget Robert Louis Stevenson's books, especially A Child's Garden of Verses.

I read the Jane Austen books when I was 13, and also Wuthering Heights. I don't know if that's the kind of classic you're interested in....

"The Black Stallion" series by Walter Farley

"National Velvet" by Enid Bagnold

"The Princess Bride" by William Goldman

"The Jungle Book" by Rudyard Kipling (followed by Part 2)

"Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls

"Shane" by Jack Shaefer

"The Red Pony" by John Steinbeck

"The Yearling" by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

"Charlotte's Web" by E. B. White

"The Once and Future King" T.H. White

I'm glad that you enjoyed the OZ stories. I'm just now reading the first sequel! (I'm over 50)

Jungle Book,Sherlock Holmes.I'm 13 and so far I've been reading these,Jane Austen,The Brontes,Edgar Allen Poe and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.So much more,but I can't remember.Hope this helps!

Source(s): Our school library.

Jane Austen if you haven't already