Used to have cable... kind of.?

When I moved into my new apartment I hooked up my TV to catch the free digital channels and check out that whole thing. To my surprise I got the full spectrum of cable channels (your basic channels all the way up to your Spike TV, Cartoon Network, USA, Fox News, CNN... you get the picture). I know other people in my town who have the same setup. Being that I moved from a large city in California to a small village in central NY I figured this was some difference in the way service was handled or maybe a part of the digital cable shift... but when I had my cable internet installed most of the channels started receiving weak signals. I get 3 channels on the higher frequencies until I get to the digital channels (Spike TV and a couple other random cable channels, I think E may be one of them), and a fuzzy Fox News. The rest is static. Seeing as I don't pay for cable and just hooked into the grid I guess, I'm not exactly who to call concerning my signal, or what's even normal.

Any suggestions or even ideas on why my service was the way it was?

Favorite Answer

>I figured this was some difference in the way service was handled or maybe a part of the digital cable shift..

No, it means that the cable company didn't turn off the previous cable service. You were getting service that you weren't paying for and shouldn't have been getting.

When they set up the cable internet, they corrected the problem. (Actually you shouldn't be getting any channels through the cable connector.)

There is no free cable TV service. To get free TV service you need to install an antenna, assuming you are located in an area that has over the air signals.

Since you have high speed internet, you can watch some programing using your computer. There are a lot of web sites with content. Start with http://www.hulu.com/